S&W .45ACP

David Scott

There is a "compact Smith & Wesson .45 Auto" in the paper today. I figure it's either a Model 457 or CS45. I've owned S&W revolvers but not their autos. Is this worth pursuing at $350?

Hey, it's an inferior pistol made by traitors. :barf: I would leave it alone, and put the money towards a Glock 30. :)

That sounds like a decent price depending on which model it actually is. I like the Smith&Wesson autos and have had very good luck with them. They make an excellent gun for the money.

457 = Piece of junk

I had a S&W 457 and it was a POJ. I couldn't fire an entire magazine without jams. It broke often too (minor parts but annoying because I had a very low round count). It was by far the most troublesome pistol I ever owned. S&W does not make their semiautos as well as their revolvers......

P.S.

I agree with Denfoote. The S&W semiautos are inferior. It is not just a few I am basing this on either. The MAJORITY (but not all) of S&W semiautos I have shot had one kind of problem or another.

BTW, I wouldn't pay $100 (let alone $350) for a S&W semiauto. You would have to pay me to take one (that is how bad my experiences have been with them).
The exception is the 945 custom model....that looks NICE for a S&W semiauto (I haven't seen one around to rent though). If I get the chance to try a 945, I will report my findings to TFL ASAP. ;)

If it's the CS45 then it is the semi auto 'Chiefs Special" . 45.

The idea was a good one, but I believe they really needed to work on the grip design. The grip is relatively thin, but front to back dimensions are relatively big. Imagine holding a peice of lumber. That's about what it feels to me, kinda square and blocky. The only reviews I have heard about the weapon have reported mediocre accuracy. This is ok for defensive shooting, but I would rather own a weapon I can brag a little about at the firing range and feel confident that if for some ungodly reason I had to make a head shot to save my bacon- it could be done.

As for Q/C I have no idea. The only Auto I have ever owned from that company is the 5904 9mm and I wasn't exactly pleased with it. From then on I stuck with the revolvers from the company with no problems.

Good SHooting
RED

I can't speak for the CS45 but I have a CS9 and I really like it. I've not had a single problem with it.

Doug

It sounds like a good deal, so long as the gun is in good condition.

I had a 4516-1 that was as accurate as any (wilson, les baer, et al) and was more accurate, from a Ransom Rest, than a Colt MK IV Series 80 that I used to own.

If you want it, get it!

My experiance with a 4516-1: too heavy (all steel) and too top-heavy and not too reliable. The slide was prone to s-l-o-w-l-y go all the way forward, and not make it sometimes. This with lubed slide rails and full-power ammo. I sold it.

Bart Noir
"I prefer armed combat to unarmed combat. It's easier on the knuckles."

I have a 457 that I bought about a month before S&W sold out. Their revolvers are much nicer than their autos. That being said, I have had no problems. It has never jammed. I do see some wear on the slide rails that I am not thrilled about. If I had it to do again, I think I would have saved my money and bought a nicer gun. I saw a sign in an auto parts store some years ago that said "Buy the best and cry only once". I try to buy the best I can. In this case, I truly think I could have done better. That's my 2 cents. Some people really like these.

I own the 4516-1. It's a tack driver like the previous poster mentioned. I have never had a FTF in it with any ammo including reloads that jammed my 1991 regularly. I put night sites on it that glow at me from the nightstand! ;) Don't think what the other guy said about weight is a factor for a 45, in fact it's more of an asset. Follow-up shots seem to come much faster than my with lightweigh Patriot. I carry it seldom... mostly to gun shows and in the car on vacation. Some out there will say they don't like the 4516 because it's a Smith. IMO, they forget that Smith built all of the 4516's before the sellout (I am fairly sure) and therefore it's a politically safe gun to own.

I agree with what others have said about the 457... I didn't think it was very high quality. The CS45 is the same cheap workmanship in a smaller gun and you have to sell out yourself to buy it. Look for a used 4516 or even 4566 (the mid-sized version). If you want light, go for a Glock 30, Glock 36, or even a Republic Arms Patriot.

I own a S&W 457. When new, it wouldn't stay on a #5 wash tub at 25 yards. Sent it to Novak for nite sights and a accuracy job, and it is now extremely accurate and rides in a Tex Shoemaker holster. It IS my favorite carry gun and is more accurate than I can hold. it also is one of the guns I use as an instructor. It was well wqorth the money.

I would never buy it simply based on it being listed in the paper. You should do your research into what is the EXACT pistol that will make you happy and then save your money up and go buy it. For used and new, there is gunbroker.com and firearmstp.com.

A close friend has a S&W 4516 or whatever, I don't know, in .40 and we had trouble with it not feeding the shell all the way in. I've heard rumor that S&W makes the best revolvers around but that their autos aren't that great.

I just got my first pistola. It's a Kimber Gold Match in 45. Even thought it's a "Gold Match Stainless" with a stainless match barrel, I already took it apart and polished the ramp. This is supposed to help feeding a lot.

My neighbor has a Walther PP in whimpy little 32Auto and it has plenty of recoil and peppers the target all over the place. My big 45ACP drills them all in tight.

Good luck & happy blasting.

Back