S&W 457

Dan

Okay, with out the vituperation over boycotts etc... How does this gun stack up? Reliability, accuracy & carry? I can't seem to find anything about this model.

It is not too bad. If memory serves me correctly, it is one of the economical autos from Smith, meaning basically a no frills gun. I had one for a while, using it as an off duty gun. It was accurate for its purposes, no question, but I have shot better handguns in that size. Those purposes were to hit the center of the TQ 15 target I train with, but I found I could not shoot it too well past 15 yards, whereas now my Glock 36 drills them without concern. The gun was pretty reliable, the only problem every now and again was not going into battery on a full magazine, this I attribute to the ammo I shoot, which are reloads; have no idea how many times the cases have been reloaded. Every time I pulled the trigger it went bang. The slide did seem a tad chunky and boxey, but it shot and carried great.
I carried it in a Galco fanny pack and a Wild Bill's IWB, half the time it felt like a small bulge and not an artillery piece. Even though it is light, the recoil was very manageable for follow up shots.
I would not hesitate to get another, the only reason I traded was to get a 1076.
One thing to remember, as told by our department armorers, use grease on the frame as oil will not adhere well, due to the metal used in the frame. And Hogue grips did wonders in making it easier on the hand. Factory Smith grips are too slim, and just not comfortable, IMO.

Dan, the 457 was my first gun. It was reliable, but the fit and finish isnt the greatest on them. I had some problems with rust on the slide, and the phosphate (sp) black they put on those wore pretty fast. Since this was my first handgun, I cant really tell you about the accuracy, since I royally sucked when I got the gun. I do like the size of them, fit me well after I added the hogue rubber grips. Once I got into handguns, I let it go for a Sig 245.
Would I buy another one, yah if the price was right. I paid $379 NIB in 98 for it. I think they go for $400 now, used under $300. IF you get a bargain, buy it, if your really wanting a smith .45, I think you can get a used stainless for the same price and would be much better off. The fit and finish is much better on the stainless, and you get the ambi safty/decock and I belive all smith stainless have the front strap serrations, which kinda help the .45s.

My 457 was a POS. Very unreliable, with a crappy SA trigger and bad accuracy. I sold it back for a huge loss because after several parts breakages, severe jamming, and endless trips to the gunsmith it was never fixed. I cannot recommend the 457 (unless you want to use it as a doorstop)!

I took a gamble by purchasing the 457. One thing that always stuck out in my mind was the used rack in a large gunstore, it always had lots of Smith autos. It was not my favorite pistol, but several things came into consideration when I bought it. The area that I work in is all Smith. I started out with a 4566, switched departments and then went to the 4506. Investigators carry the 457.
Economy-wise, I had it made. Free upkeep, free ammo to practice with and qualify, used the same mags as my duty weapon, same controls as the duty weapon, and not too much money lost if it was taken for evidence (horror stories abound on what happens to firearms when they are tested). Plus my department issued it, but that was not a factor. Our rangemaster at the time slicked the action up for me before it was fired, so I could not say what the untuned aciton felt like.

My 457 was accurate enough for a short-barreled .45.Had no problem up to 25yds.(longest distance at my local range).Never a failure to feed.Did put Hogue grips on it. The only thing I didn't like about it was that !@#$$%! 3rd generation S&W grip shape.Like a hairdrier. That rules out the new 945 for me. My 2 cents.

I had a 457. Didn't like it and traded it quickly. I still have a Performance Center model 945. No comparison.

The 457 shot well enough - I just didn't like the feel and the manual of arms was different enough from my 1911s that I never felt comfortable with it.

Dan, also check out the 7-shot stainless 4516. I picked up a used one the other day (I wonder if S&W encourages dealers to pass off new ones as used just to sell its guns now, because mine looks brand new). While I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, it does seem to be very good quality, and the stainless finish is a nice change from the mostly blued semiautos that I own. As for S&W, I would rather see them suffer through very low profits than go bankrupt. I probably will not buy another of their products, but if I do, it will be used.

I may be wrong about this, but I have the feeling that the "agreement" will have no teeths. A dealer today claimed that he was not forced to agree to the new terms, and that S&W is not forcing him to because the gov't didn't hold its end of the deal by not awarding a substantial gov't contract to S&W. The dealer was not trying to sell me a S&W, as I had just purchased a Rossi pump action 22. Anyone know the complete story on the S&W agreement?

Back