S&W 4516 and 457 .45autos,any good opinions?

45automan

Hey guys not much talk of these here.I have seen these in the high $300 range. They are a little heavy but flat. These seem like good carry guns. I shot one and was impressed with it.Of course they are all pre back stabbing models.Thanks for any opinions,45automan

My first Handgun purchase was a Smith 457, I liked it at the time, but when I started getting into Sigs and Glocks, that gun got sold fast. It was reliable, and back then I couldnt hit anything, so I dont know if it was accurate or not. It was prone to rusting, and the finish wore off in very little time at all.

I would get the 457 before the 4516. The 4516 had reliability problems early in their production. You can't beat the 457 price.
I carried a 457 for a while as an off duty weapon. A good gun yes, but I could not shoot it well past 15 yards. I very rarely had any mals, the mals I did have were chambering over a full magazine. Recoil was not bad for a light .45. I replaced the factory stocks with Hogues, which helped a tad.
Be sure to use grease on the slide rails. From what our armorers have said, Smith advises this because oil will not adhere well to the frame.

I owned one for a time right after they first came out. This was the first S&W .45 wiht an alloy frame, the 4516 was all stainless and too heavy.

It was reliable, accurate and easy to shoot well.

I prefer the Glock these days, and would choose their model 30 over the 457, but the 457 is still a good pistol if you like S&Ws.

I purchased a 4516 over a year ago for $380 incl 2 7 round mags in used but excel condition.

It was my first handgun purchase and I still love it, 99.9 % reliable, comfortable in my hand but it is a little heavy I guess.

I like it so much I have been looking around for a used S&W 9mm with similar dimensions.

I've lost track of the amount of ammo through it but has to be around 2000 rounds and maybe 200+ rounds of +P, regarding the .1 % reliabilty failure it was when I bought a box of semi wad cutters cheap from a gun show :(

I'd give it 4 1/2 stars but what do I know:)

seeya

Either is great

Hayden,
Either of those would be a good choice, with one caveat. The caveat is the M4516, make sure you get one with a dash number (-1 or -2) in the Model number.
fed168 is right, the very early units, marked as "Model 4516, without any engineering changes had some problems. The problem, as I recall was with slide mass, and comparing the non-dash units to the later -1 or -2 pieces, you will see that the slide on the later units is a bit "beefier", which lends credence to the earliest units having slide inertia issues (?)
So, just stay with the later units, and you should be fine. Also, the 4516 is an all-steel piece, which gives you a little more weight, and possibly a little more "longevity", but that is for time to decide. I actually prefer all steel autos due to that factor. A good holster and belt is the great (weight) equalizer IMO.
The M457, and all the Value Series autos are just plain great values, again IMO. The M457 was the first compact .45 Smith auto to use an alloy frame, and I believe it to still be one of the great "sleepers" in the line. The internals are the same to the M4516, but cost has been saved in appearance details, due to a few of the "extra" milling steps left out, leaving you with a fairly square slide. (Some S&W guys don't like the lines, but if you like Glocks....... need I say more? 9X19??)
So, if you are looking for "similar" dimensions, keep this in mind. A M4516 will fit into a holster made for a M457, but the opposite will not be true, due to the dimensions and shape of the M457 slide. I am of course talking about form-fitted holsters.
For the record, I own a M457, a M4513 (Performance Center Shorty 45), and have owned two seperate M4516's (both -1's), and have not had any problems with any of them.
.......SmithNut
......SmithNut

45automan; I've had two S&W mod 457's. I don't remember one malfunction between the two. There're fairly lightweight (alloy frame), reliable, and compact. Now the negative- I tried like hell to sell or trade a Mod 457 just recently and could not do it. I'm presuming because of political reasons. A gunshop offered me $220.00! All I'm saying is resale might be pretty poor on either model. Good Luck, J. Parker

I've owned a 4516 in the past. Great little gun, weight being it only criticism. Fully reliable and plenty accurate as has been my experience with more than several 3rd gen S&W semi-autos.

I owned a 4516-1 for a few years. It was 100% reliable and extremely accurate. I traded it for a P229 .40 S&W and I still wish I hadn't. If you are looking at a 4516-1 and decide not to buy, let me know where it is so I can talk to the shop or owner about it.

I Like 457s

I just missed buying one of these pistols for $275 used in like new condition and bought a S&W CS45 for $325 instead. I have been very please with the CS45 but after shooting a 457 I would have been just as happy with it. The 457 is a good pistol. Regards, Richard.

Back