S&W 4506 / 4566

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwg

Inactive
anybody got first hand experiance ?
I want to buy one of those, wich one do you prefer most.

thanx.

I carried the 4506 briefly when my Sig P220 was in the shop (actually, in care of an airline mechanic who was going to mill a dovetail into the slide for the front sight blade). I liked the idea of stainless steel as opposed to the aluminum of the Sig. Funny thing for me is that the recoil on the S&W seem much more than the Sig.

I shoot OK with it, but not nearly as good with my Sig. My only real complaint about it is the adjustable sight. Not that it doesn't work mind you, but that I prefer the simpler Novak night sights.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I don't have first hand experience with either of these handguns but, FWIW, a medium size police department located about 60 miles from where I live has used the S&W 4586 since about 1993 or 94 (The 4586 is the DAO version of the 4566). To the best of my knowledge, the PD hasn't encountered any major problems with the gun and everybody (including the rank and file) seems to be fairly satisfied with the weapon. When the original purchase was made (back in 93), the sheriff office followed the PD's lead and purchased the same gun. There are no plans to change firearms any time soon.

Hi,

My agency issues the 4586 to patrol. As someone said, this is the DAO version of the 4566, and it's a reliable pistol. I know some guys from an agency that issues the 4566, and it's a reliable pistol. I also know some guys from different agencies that are issued the 4506, and it's a reliable pistol. These are workhorse type pistols, meant to be carried on a Sam Browne type belt, in a duty holster, exposed. These are not pistols meant for concealed carry, they are much too heavy(40 oz). If you want it for duty or home/vehicle defense or recreation, I'd say go with the 4506, since why do you need the 3/4" shorter barrel? If you want a CCW pistol, go with the SW 457 compact with alloy frame.

Dave

I have a 4506, formerly owned by a western state police department. The gun is accurate and reliable, with everything except Winchester DP 230 grain hollowpoints, and is very pleasant to shoot due to the weight. Most accurate load, and 100%reliable, is the 185 grain Silvertip. I like the pistol.

I carried a 4516-2 for two years, and I very much preferred that to the 4506 or 4566. I liked the bobbed hammer, shorter frame, shorter grip. It was still a heavy gun, but I carried it all day in a Galco Concealable hoster with a single mag pouch on the opposite side of the belt. I don't think SW still makes the 4516, but you can find them used (sometimes new) in great condition. It was a great gun to shoot, and I never had any problems with it being ammo sensitive. Hope this helps

Scott Weaver

Very good gun. Accurate, reliable, tough.

I had a 645 when they first came out, later a 4506 and 4566.

FYI, when the FBI did their semi-auto pistol T&E waaaay back in the late 80s, the S&W 645 and SIG P226 were the top two scorers. Maybe that's why the FBI (Model 1076)10mm looked the way it did; tried to meld the two in size, caliber and operation?

------------------
>>>>---->

Thanks to you all,

It's been a while ( realy long while ) and I like to say that I'm completely satisfied with my gun. Yes you read it correct, I bought one a 4506-1 to be precise, I'm going to use this gun in competitions so I installed a red dot scope ( for pins ), target trigger group, compensator, etc, etc.

yeah, yeah, I hear you saying " that's no shooting anymore", but in a contest all that counts are, reliability, fast target aquisition, less as possible recoil with as much power as can be.

bye, jwg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back