S&W 45 in a 45 Colt

bunker43

Inactive
Has anyone had experience with shooting the S&W 45 (Schofield) cartridge in a revolver chambered for 45 Colt? I believe this was done in the old days when both revolvers where in use by the army. What I wanted to know is there a difference is accuracy between the two or is it the same as in shooting a 38's in a 357. where it does not affect accuracy at all.

Mike Venturino says in his article in AH about how obsolete the .45 Colt is says he seldom shoots anything BUT .45 S&W in his SAAs.

Why would he say that about the 45 LC

Sure it one of the oldest remaining carts around, but does that make it a bad round. The brass is a lot more avilable than the S and W and the case is wonderful to work when reloading.
Personaly any one that writes an article and says somthing like that, its just to get the readership sturred up.
I have 4 guns that shoot LC.
2 N frame Smith mod 25's
Ruger vaquero
And a Ruger blackhawk
I think that saying what he did about the LC is like saying that there is no place for the 44 mag now that smith has come out with the 500.
Just dosent sound like he's making any sence.
I have never shot the s&w 45 in mine and just dont need to.

It makes for a good "reduced load" in a. 45 Colt revolver

Starline sells very high quality .45 S&W brass, and of course, the loaded ammo is available.

A very nice pllinking/low velocity practice load may be put up in that brass for use in your .45C revolver. You don't even need to acquire new dies if you already load for .45 ACP. You'll need to adjust the seating die and crimp die, though. Seat and crimp in separate operations. You can't do a good job of crimping with .45 Colt dies unless you have a set specifically marked for ".45 Colt/.45 S&W."

A 230 gr lead RN bullet, as sold for .45 ACP is proper for the round. Use about 5.5 gr of Unique, 5.3 of H. Universal, or 5.3 of Win 231 powder to attain approximately 800 fps, depending on barrel length.

Best,
Johnny

Back