S&W .45 Autos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob96

Does anybody have experience with S&W's line of .45ACP's. I was looking at a Model 4506 at one of the local shops and thought it to be a nice looking gun.

I owned a 4576 a while back. Liked it. Wish I hadn't sold it. The 4576 was a 4.5 inch bbl model with no slide safety, just a Sig style Bobbit lever.

One of the pluses is that the full frame guns hold eight rounds in the mag.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited September 28, 1999).]

I bought a used 4516-1 several years ago. It was in good shape, but did not function reliably. Every three or four rounds, the slide would not return to battery. It would hang up 1/8 of an inch from full closure. This happened with all magazines and types of ammo.
I shipped this gun to S&W and got in back in a few weeks. They determined the hole in the front of the slide for the guide rod was machined slightly off center. (Earlier model 4516's have a reputation of functioning problems). S&W's SERVICE IS EXCELLENT! I called and talked directly to the person working on my gun. He replaced the slide, barrel, recoil assembly and returned the gun to me second day air at NO COST. This is a gun that I bought used. The gun now has the dual recoil assembly that they put in the 457.
I have not had a malfunction since I got it back. I shoot it several times a year and my confidence in it as a carry gun has returned. Every other S&W 45 I have ever shot has performed flawlessly. I would not hesitate to buy another one. The 4516 is a fantastic carry gun. If you like the 4506, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

I have a 4506 which I carried for a short while (when my P220 was in the shop having a dovetail milled into the slide for nite sights). For me, the 4506 didn't shoot as well but I never experienced any reliability problems with it.

My only gripe is the adjustable sights. I'd rather have those Novak nite sights but what the heck, I bought it used and it was in very good condition. About the only thing I replaced was the original grips (factory recall).

I still use the 4506 as a training aid (it's one of the few guns I have which has a slide mounted decocking safety).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I bought an early 4506 (hooked trigger guard) from an LEO that was in excellent shape.

On the whole, a very good gun in my opinion.

These were specific to my gun, but an area to look at:

1. Until the extractor was adjusted, it did not like Remington brass. It fed everything else perfectly, but not RP or UMC headstamps!

2. The trigger breaks later than I am accustomed to. I don't mean a long pull (it is) but the sear didn't trip until the trigger was ~1/4" from the frame. Training issue...

Overall, I am very happy. I'm still sending it to the PC for a trigger job, but that's because I want to, not because it has to go.

I have a 4506 and it is accurate and reliable. However, the grip is like holding a 2x4 and not until I got replacement Hough grips did this pistol feel better. It also has a magazine disconnect safety which I don't care much about.

But the rabbit ears safety is great and if you like Miami Vice, this pistol makes you feel like Don Johnson.

Sonny now uses a very nice Para Ord while crusing with Cheech...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I use a tuned S&W 457 with night-sight. it was tuned and accurized by Mike Novak's group. Excellent carry gun, especially in Kramer's Iwb holster.

Deanf:

Yes, Crockett used the Bren Ten for the first few seasons of Miami Vice (BTW he used a Sig 220 in the pilot episode). Once the Bren Ten went out of production, Crockett was rearmed with the S&W 645. In the final season, he was rearmed again with the 4506.

Corbon91
--------------------
"I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid... afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules or controls, borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back