S & W 442, how severe is recoil?

marca

Since the S & W 442 is a fairly light-weight pistol, I'm wondering if it "bites" when fired. Is it hard to control?

Felt recoil is quite difficult to define because no two people will feel the same way. I typically feel recoil differently after 10, 20 100, etc. rounds with the same firearm. The 442 with 115-grain Corbon +P is brutal. The same round in my 640 stainless .357 with the underlug barrel is still punishing.

FELT "Recoil" is a VERY SUBJECTIVE thing...FWIW, Mrs. 3-5-7 and I BOTH have as our "Always" guns S&W Airweight Centennials...hers is a "stainless" 642, while mine is a "blued" 442...with 148-gr. WC "target" loads, they are quite manageable, if not quite PLEASANT...with 158-gr. "ball", still quite manageable, but MUCH LESS PLEASANT...with the 158-gr. LSWCHP "Plus-P's" that we load for carry, they are manageable but UNPLEASANT to shoot...not at all FUN...but they don't HURT or draw blood, at least in MY experience...FWIW, MY 442 has "Uncle Mike's" boot grips on it, while the Mrs.' gun has Hogue "Monogrips" on it...hers is DISTINCTLY more pleasant to shoot with ALL loads, but...more difficult to conceal, because of the larger grips...guess that's what that big "honker" purse is for, huh???....mikey357

As above.
Your grip, stance, guns grips, ammo, experience etc etc.

Generally considered pretty snappy with heavier loads.

Sam

I had a 342 PD Titanium. It was brutal. I think the extra 5oz. afforded with the 442 will be more reasonable. What I found, in my search for comfort, was twofold. First, select a manageable load for you. Alot of folks espouse the Federal Nyclad. My experience with this load is-it is pretty loud, alot of flash and recoil. Winchester makes a 125 gr load as"winclean" that is loaded about 775 fps. This is comfortable even in the Ti. 3-D makes a 100gr double end wadcutter at 750 fps, which is super mild. USA has a 130 gr about 800 fps that is also tolerable for extended sessions. Secondly, get a pair of grips for your range session. I think the smaller boot grips are great for carry, but for extended range work a grip that covers the backstrap like a Hogue monogrip, Sile, or Pachmayr compac are all good options. Lastly, have fun. I enjoy the J frames for numerous reasons. They are compact, well made, reliable, easily worked on, and a butt load of accessories and holsters are out there.

Back