S&W 41 M&P

That would be the Model 58.

You will find this gun still has a fiercly loyal following, including yours truly.

$120.oo retail for the blue, add ten for the nickle.

4" bbl, fixed sights.

Of course I could afford gasoline then too (74)

Sam..whooda believed it, me in the 21st century.

I picked up a police trade in a few years ago and I really like it. Of course, I have never seen a S&W N frame I didn't like!

i got mine out of a pawn shop in 1981, thought it was a puggy m-10, and later found out that a co-worker had sold it when her husband ran off. i love owning guns with a history. i wish she'd told me about it first, i was very poor then.

i had it tuned up and re-stocked to carry at my first LE job, they complained that my gun was too loud during qualification. until they saw the cartriges they didn't notice that it wasn't a .38 either.

great gun, it has outlasted 2 m-57 and a m-29 in my heart and safe.

I picked up an S&W .41 Mag. Model 58 M&P last year at a gunshow for $300.

The thing KICKS ASS!

The Remington 210-gr. JSP is very heavily loaded, upwards 1,200 fps. The kick, and the blast, is QUITE gratifying. :)

1968 we got to try it out for duty; kept it for $90; still have it; daily wear got to finish, so I had it hard chromed; slickest action ever. Now used Mountain Gun .41, but M58 is still in safe!!:) And a bout a dozen other .41s and a Marlin rifle too.

The rabid .41 mag. fan:)

Had one for a few years, back around 78-79. Great piece, a bit big for CC. As I recall,my practice load was a 210 gr SWC over a starting load of Unique. Duty load was a WW version of same.

This, stock except for rubber grips, was my first pin gun, and I did OK with it in a few revolver matches.

WHEN THEY WERE DUTY GUNS...

Back, years ago, when the Model 58 [Police Duty 41 Magnum] was a production gun, I shot the HELL out of one.

I later foound out that it was suppose to be for shooting the "POLICE LOAD" and not a full "HOT" factory load. The gun was not harmed though. I traded it for a Ruger #3 in .22 Hornet.

Hello,

I bought a nickel plated one at a gunshow out of a private collection a few years ago in near mint condition for $300 and had to fight off three men who wanted to buy it from me as I left!

It was quite gratifying to find out that it was manufactured in 1964...the same year the .41 Magnum debuted!!!

It is in Missouri with Ron Powers right now getting slicked up.

- Anthony

I saw one at a gun show about 7yrs back but didn't have the funds at the time, I've been looking for one every since.

And I've got TWO of the blue ones. And a blue 4" 41 mag model 57 to practice with using full power loads, and a blue 4" model 28 Highway Patrolman to use for sub-caliber ( 38 ) practice. Too bad no-one wants to make good defensive ammo for the 41. Otherwise I'd be sticking out my tongue and giving you the raspberry and going "Nyah, nyah, nyah, I got them and you don't. :) ;) :p :D :p ;) :)

Rusty...Cor-Bon lists .41mag defensive, 170grJHP, 1275fps, 614 lbs'. They also have a 210grJHP, 1350fps, 850 lbs'.

If you want less mild stuff, check out WESHOOT2 on TFL

Sam...bang is good, BANG is gooder.

Defensive ammo

Rusty, the Winchester 175 grain Silvertip is by all accounts a "good" defensive load. Sure, it doesn't use one of the latest generation of high-tech JHPs like the Gold Dot, HydraShok, or Golden Saber. But the Silvertip is a good performer without excessive recoil.

Back