S&W 41 cal

Nanaimo Barr

a friend of mine recently inherited a S&W revolver in 41 caliber with a serial number under 2000

"One of my great grandfathers left his Smith & Wesson revolver 41 caliber serial #1***. Pre-model numbers. We have been told that this type was only sold to the English Maritime
officers pre-1900."

anyone able to shed any light on this? or sugestions on where to look or who to contact for more info?

NB

I have been hopin somebody would wade in here with some info. I have loading data for both the .41short and the .41long but no reference to a S&W of any model chambered for either cartridge. Struck out with Fjestad, Jinks, Grinnell, Amber and Himmelwright.

Trivia.....41long colt rim smaller than .41mag chamber, cartridge will go all the way into a mag cylinder instead of stopping at the rim. .41 used a heeled bullet in a smaller case.

Lots of Smith .44s but no .41 that I can find.

Maby this should get moved to Harley Noldens ??

Sam.....I wanna know too.

Sam,

Supica & Nahaus DOES list the New Model No. 3 being chambered in a cartridge called the ".41 S&W."

I'm trying to get in touch with Rick Nahaus to find out a little more about that.

I've been collecting cartridges for over 20 years, and have been heavily into the history of S&W revolvers for the last 10, and this is the FIRST time I've ever heard of this chambering.

Back