S&W .38special serial begins with K

isanchez2008

A friend of mine asked me to look up any info I could on his revolver. I just have a bare bones basic description from him though along with the serial. He said it is blued steel S&W and about a 4" barrel. Serial number K14XXXX. Any info would be appreciated.

I can tell you that the gun dates from 1952, but little more than that. The "K" prefix was used on a whole bunch of K-frame models, so we would need more information and some good pictures to provide any more information or an evaluation.

Jim

S&W tells us that their steel framed revolvers with model numbers (starting in 1957) are +P "rated."

As to a 1952 K frame, it isn't going to blow up if you shoot +Ps when necessary to repel boarders, or even for familiarization and a little practice. But it isn't something to do every weekend just because you like the louder bang. Why put the extra wear and tear on a nice gun?

I think he was more interested in just knowing that if he ended up with a box of +p he wouldn't blow his gun up. Not necessarily use it as anything remotely regular.

Serial number K14XXXX
Only adjustable sighted K frames have the K prefix. Being a 38 spl with a 4" barrel it would more than likely be a k-38 Combat Masterpiece (pre model 15).

Limited use of +p won't hurt it.

Jim

Back