S&W 38 Mod 10-6 Identify help?

Warlok

Inactive
I have this revolver that I cannot seem to find out much about it. I have shot 38 SP with it but not a lot since I bought a Thompson Contender and like it much better. Anyone know if this revolver is original or maybe altered? I was going to sell it online but do not know its approx. value or exactly what to call it. It has the sight rail that is stamped Mascot. The barrel measures about 5 1/4" long. Looks like its capable of the +P but never shot those. I attached 3 photos. Looks like that is the limit. Hope I did it right an they show up. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Rd4fef 031.jpg
    Rd4fef 031.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Rd4fef 038.jpg
    Rd4fef 038.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 68
  • Rd4fef 040.jpg
    Rd4fef 040.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 68
Made for PPC (Precision Pistol Competition). Google it. Set up to shoot powder-puff wad-cutter loads. Should have a very good double action trigger. +/- $500 at most. Too bad the rib isn't an Aristocrat.

Measure the barrel from the front of the cylinder; probably 6".

Agree with the previous posters except I have no idea of value. Once modified this much it's strictly what the buyer values.

Could stand an 11° crown on the barrel IMO.

By the way, you are right. It is a 6" barrel. I will google it as I want to learn more about it. Thanks again,

Bob

The Practical Police Course (now Police Pistol Combat) was developed in the late 1930s by the FBI to add some realism to training and qualification, previously done in conventional bullseye style. It eventually turned into a sport with specialized guns like this.
There are a number of different matches for stock and custom guns, revolver and auto.
The current target is the B27 humanoid shot at ranges from 7 to 50 yards. The ten ring is an oval 4x6"
Here is the main event:
7.7 Match 5 - The NRA National Police Course.
Stage 1: 7 yards, 12 shots double action standing without support. Time limit 20 seconds including time to reload.
Stage 2: 25 yards, 6 shots kneeling; 6 shots standing left hand with support from behind barricade, 6 shots standing right hand with support from behind barricade, all fired double action. Time limit 90 seconds, including time to reload.
Stage 3: 50 yards, 6 shots sitting; 6 shots prone; 6 shots standing left hand with support
from behind barricade; 6 shots standing right hand with support from behind
barricade, all shots may be fired single or double action. Time limit 2 minutes and 45 seconds including time to reload.
Stage 4: 25 yards, 6 shots double action standing without support. Time limit 12 seconds.

In 1978 I got a state trophy for First Sharpshooter in
7.6 Match 4
Two stages of 12 shots each fired double action, standing without support at 25 yards. Time limit 35 seconds for each 12-shot stage including time to reload.

I would not shoot +P in this gun, it is a basic conversion with no front cylinder lockup that I can see.
The Mascot rib was sold by Travis Strahan, a Georgia gunsmith. He was best known for his coil spring conversion to S&W revolvers. I would expect his name to be on a gun that he had worked on, though.

Last edited:
Back