S & W .38 info needed

Esteban32696

I wanted to get some info on this S & W .38 & its approximate value. VERY good & tight action, some wear in plating , 4" barrel, C 681XX ser. on butt,, #'s inside frame at cylinder are a small 9, & a large 2 , under that is 95252. Made is USA, Marcas Registradas.
Thank you !

Attachments

• S & W 38 20001.jpg
    S & W 38 20001.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 89
  • S & W 380001.jpg
    S & W 380001.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 62
Your picture looks as though the gun has a six-shot cylinder rather than a five-shot one. If that's the case, your gun is a M&P which is built on the K-Frame (the smaller of S&W's two medium frames). When S&W went to model numbers in 1958, your gun became the Model 11 while the more popular .38 Special version became the Model 10.

EDIT: I re-read your post and I assumed that your gun was chambered for .38 S&W. But in re-reading, you aren't clear as to which specific .38 Cartridge your gun is chambered for. As far as I know, there were at least three different .38 cartridges that a M&P could be chambered for: .38 S&W, .38 Special, and .38 Long Colt.

So your gun is a pre model 10 but you do have a round butt.

Date of manufacture is probably early to mid 50s.

Unforunately, judging by the pics, the gun has be renickeled. Here is a pic of mine, look at my hammer and trigger compared to yours. S&W never nickel plates hammer and trigger, they are color case hardened.

1905-2.jpg

1905 4th SN 253XXX, approx 1918

Thanks for the info. I am going to run some rounds thru it & let it be a lady friend's home defense pistol. I will need to train her ' cause she doesn't have a clue about firearms.
Overall, I think I will be pleased with it. I paid $200 for it.

Back