S/W 38-Hard trigger pull !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeman

I have a S/W 38, 1 1/2 Inch barrel,
"J" frame(Dont know the Model No.),and it has a very hard trigger pull.
Since this is my wifes weapon, I would like to improve this problem a bit.
Any suggestions? Any kits out there?
Thanks Snakeman

There is NO reason for this...

50 bucks and a good smith will have that trigger as light and crisp as a thin glass wire.

My Academy gun was a Smith J frame... And a snubby too. It's trigger was FLAWLESS. And as a result I was able to out shoot EVERY ONE with CrunchinTicker autos with heavy cruddy triggers - sigs glocks and the like...

The Smith Revolvers can have the BEST triggers in the hand gun market.

------------------
"America is a melting pot, the people at the bottom get burned while all the scum floats to the top."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

If you have the trigger pull on that S&W worked on, make sure you fire at least 200 rounds with the carry ammo before depending on it. Some smiths will give you a wonderful trigger job with just one little problem - no go bang.

Jim

I have to agree with the former and the latter too!
Sometimes the trigger pull is reduced at the expense of the hammer spring which can cause unreliable primer-popping. A good smith can do the job properly and iw will be reliable.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Look for the hammer to resist at least 2 full pounds of rearward pressure on the hammer spur before it even begins to move.

I do not recall if the true standard from S&W is 2 or 3 or 2-1/2 lbs., but mine with a 2-lb hammer fall has NEVER mis-fired, even with the much-maligned CCI primers in both std 500s and (mostly) Magnum 550s.

Have it checked for a high trigger pin.
You can probably tell if its rubbing by the feel. An armorer can tell very easy by taking the side plate off.

FWIW, I have a S&W Model 49 (also a J-frame) that had a rather hard pull. I sent it to the S&W service department. There it was lightened enough that I could feel the difference, but apparently not enough to cause the revolver to be unreliable.

I hate to say this, because I hope you already thought of it, but here goes...
Before you take the hammer and tongs to that Smith, make sure it's clean. Take the sideplate off and blow it out with a good grade of solvent. Sometimes dirt will jam up a mechanism where there is no actual mechanical problem.

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

I recently purchased a S&W 642, and I would estimate the trigger at 15 lb or maybe more. The gun locked up several times on my first trip to the range and S&W has it now. I asked them if they could lighten it a bit. We'll see what happens. I don't understand why we can't buy a good gun out of the box. I have little sympathy for the fact that SA's must be fired at least 200 rounds before you can depend on reliability. I agree I wouldn't buy a firearm and without some shooting stake my life on it. That doesn't change the fact that we are so used to accepting shoddy work and products that it a "way of life" . I know, before you tell me about liability, etc. I still say we get pretty shoddy products in this country, considering the price we pay. I would rather pay another $100 and get something I don't have to send back. Only three guns in recent years have I bought and have not had to send back. One was a Russian Makarov, a S&W M60, and a Glock 26. Have had to send back S&W's, Kimbers, Springfields and Taurus'. So much for the "soapbox" Jerry

BigG; couldn't agree more with you. Was recently given to clean a old 5 screw K-frame S&W which had been the personal firearm of an armorer in the USMC, who had fired it in matches. The revolver had been stored for about 20 years.

Measured single action trigger pull before any treatment, an acceptable 52-54 oz. Removing sideplate revealed gummed oil over all parts. Detail strip, cleaning, and lubing, and replacing with a rather stout (2 lb less than factory) rebound slide spring was next. The rebound slide spring I took out looked light. Very light. After reassembly, the single action trigger pull was 32 oz.! The main spring appeared original, and was under full tension from the adjustment screw.

I will probably get a full power rebound slide spring and mainspring and install.

First; clean and lubricate. Then consider other alternatives. Works for me.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back