S&W .38 hammerless

Tarvah

Inactive
I am trying to find out about an old S&W, .38 caliber, hammerless, "lemon squeezer" serial #211669 How can I find out when it was made? It has 3 notches on the butt, and the initials PBF or RBF carved on the inside of the one grip. Inside the other grip are the initials O W and the date Oct 19 16.

Last edited:
If 211669 is the serial number, then it is a 4Th Model Safety Hammerless. That serial number would put it at 1906/1907. The notches on the handle and the initials mean nothing with out provenience. Really need a picture to be able to tell you anything else.

Don't know if I uploaded this right, it's the first time I've done this. Found this new "etching" on the inside of the other grip.

Attachments

• DSCN5221.jpg
    DSCN5221.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN5224.JPG
    DSCN5224.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN5228.jpg
    DSCN5228.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 47
The Serial number and the picture matches what is in the 3rd edition of The Standard Catalog of S&W. .38 Safety hammerless, 4Th Model. It was manufactured between 1898-1907. The caliber is 38 S&W, I would guess from the high serial number 1905/1906. It looks to have been well used in it's life time. All the bluing is gone and the metal is etched and pitted. Value on one like this is not very high.

Thanks for all the info! I'm not really interested in it's monetary value, but I'd really like to know about it's history. Thought maybe somebody out there would maybe know something about the initials. I'm doing further research. Again...thanks for your information!

For 50 dollars you can get a letter from S&W showing the configuration of the gun when it left the factory and and to whom it was shipped, which is normally a hardware store or sporting goods store. Very rarely will it show a shipment to a individual. but who knows?:)

Back