S&W 38 cal. w/ latest patent date of 1882

mtslater75

Inactive
I was given this gun by my father recently and I'm trying to figure out what model it is and when it was possibly made. It is a Smith and Wesson 38 S&W 5 shot revolver with a
3 1/4" barrel. It breaks open from the top. The last patent date is Jan 3 82. The serial number is 144338. If there is anyone that can start in me in the right direction I would really appreciate this.

Your gun is a S&W 38 double action, probably 2nd model. It is an antique by SN, probably made in the 1880s to 1890s. More rare in blued finish. Looks good overall. I have one almost just like it:

SW1.jpg

Is there a model associated with these? I noticed yours has S&W stamped in the steel and mine does not, does this indicate any difference in age. My father had no idea it dated back that far until he gave it to me and I pointed out the dates on it. He got it from my step grandfather before he passed and never looked into it.

The model is 38 Double action, as I said. There was no "model 5" or anything associated with these as model numbers did not come out until 1957.

I checked my book and your gun is actually a 3rd model 38 DA but since the 3rd model was last made in 1895 at SN 322XXX, its still an antique per the ATF. Yours is most likely from the 1880s.

I'm not sure when S&W added the monogram to the revolvers but it was sometime after your gun apparently. Your gun is earlier than mine that I pictured.

I think the flat back to the trigger guard is also an indication of an older gun...

Correct. This trigger guard type is also known as a recurve. Not all recurves are pre 1899 though.

Btw, to OP and anyone else: these old break tops are NOT 38 special. Even though many guns are marked 38 S&W Special (when made by S&W) and many others are marked 38 S&W, these are 2 different calibers which were both originated by S&W. Guns of the OPs (and mine) vintage should be fired with blackpowder pressure loads aka cowboy action loads.

I have about a Dozen guns of this era chambered in 38 S&W, & load using Trailboss & .360 roundballs ( for light check out loads ) & Trailboss & light cast bullets for proven guns, & these old guns are a "blast" to shoot ( I shoot more antique 32 & 38 S&W chambered guns nowadays than I do modern cartridge guns :o

I didn't realize until recently that there was a difference in 38 loads. After seeing the two, there is definitely a major difference. I don't plan on shooting this gun until I have it looked over by a gun smith and I'm not sure if I even will after that. Thanks for all of the really good information. After learning as much as I have about this pistol I plan on hanging on to it. I might look for another set of original grips because the ones that are on it now are chipped at the butt of gun. Any ideas on where to look?

Back