S&w 357

S&W44

Hi guys.I just laid away an old pre-27 S&W 357 magnum N-frame.
Iwas wondering if anyone could tell me the year it was made.
The serial number is S1356XX.It appears unfired and is in it's original gold box and has a 5" barrel.
Thanks

I would be interested in the answer since I picked up one also about two years ago. It's a 3.5" parkerized model, ser no. S136xxx. I had planned on sending a request to S&W for a history on this pistol but never got around to it. I did for another pistol and found out that my 2" M&P was shipped in September 1949, the same month I was born!

The best way to get an exact read on your pistol is to ask S&W.

Mike...

I don't care what the other guys on the forum think. I think you're an okay guy! :D

Seriously, thanks for the info. I now have a line on a first year of mfg S&W Model 60. A lot of older guns are coming out of the closets around here. I am picking and choosing my way through them.

Frosty,

Glad to be of assistance.

Quite honestly, I don't care in the least what anyone on the forum thinks of me, either.

Mike,

I am curious, where do you get your info on serial numbers from? I've got Roy Jinks' book but it only has general serial number ranges, and these for only some models.

Frosty,

Supica & Nahaus' Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson.

It's now out of print, with a new, expanded, and revised version due out any day now.

357 Magnum

Thanks,Mike.I'm really going to have to get a copy of that book.
Can't wait to get that revolver to the range.

Well, I got mine from the author, but I've seen them at gunshows, and Amazon carried the old edition, so I suspect they'll carry the new one, as well.

Any decent bookstore should also be able to order it for you if they don't carry it.

Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson

I ordered a copy from Barnes & Noble Saturday. Hopefully it will be here in 1 to 2 weeks. Doc

Doc,

Which did you order, the First Edition or the new, yet to be released second edition?

The Second edition is going to be greatly expanded.

Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson

I ordered the second edition Mike. They must have it in stock cause it's supposed to be shipped in 1 to 2 weeks. I hope so anyway. Doc

Mike...

The authors should give you a free book for all the business you are sending their way - I just ordered my copy from B&N.

Back