S & W .357 Registerd Magnum Price?

Randy63

Hello all,
Myself and a friend were hitting the local gunshops this afternoon. I spotted a S & W registered .357 magnum in a gun case. It looks all original (all the numbers match). It has a 6" barrel and the finish looks to be 75% or so. It locks up nice and tight and the action is as smooth as glass. It does not come with any papers. The registration # is in the 3500 range. I was wondering what a fair price for this gun would be? What else should I look for to assure originality?

Thanks in advance,
Randy

Can only add a little. Barrel length could be custom ordered any length from 3½" to 83/4". Common were 3½, 4, 5, 6½ and 8 3/4"

My Blue Book shows bout $700 for 70% and $850 for 80%.

With a 6"bbl the one you found could bring an additional 20% for the non-standard bbl length.

About 5,500 registered ones made from 35-39.

Sam

BUY IT

I for one have never seen one and would buy it in a minute if it has a very smooth action. This is a case
of "I should have bought _____ as I have seen another one in 20 years."
best....dewey
++++++Please mail me at my email adrs. and I'll buy it over the phone++++++

Hi Sam & Dewey,
Thanks so much for posting what information you had. I went back to look at the gun and it is closer to 90% condition so I bought it. Sam, the barrel is 6 1/2 inches and it has the humpback hammer. The bluing is only wore at the muzzle where it was holstered. There are a few light scratches that are barely noticeable and the bore is MINT! I paid $1000 for it. I did not want to be saying "if only". I took the grips off and they are serial numbered to the gun. This gun has the slickest action I ever felt! I can't wait to shoot it! I'm going to get a check for $30 out to S & W ASAP for a letter on the gun.

Thanks again,
Randy

Randy, sounds like you did OK and best of all you got a goodie.:)

Sam.....guns n tater chips, one won't do.

Hello all,
I found a problem with my registered magnum shortly after I bought it. I was able to push the hammer off of the sear.:( After doing a search here I read posts by C.R. Sam, Mike Irwin, and others about what a potentially big problem this could be. I decided to send my gun back to Springfield for a tune-up. A smith by the name of Vito worked on my gun. He opened her up and told me the single action hammer notch was in great shape but the sear was a little bit rounded and the springs were weakened. It would cost me a total of $74 to fix it. I told him to do it.

I got my gun back on Wednesday, three weeks after I sent it in. I could not be more happy with the quality of the work done! The trigger pull is somewhat heavier, I would guess about about 3 pounds or so and it still breaks like glass.

It is rare these days to have a job done right the first time. My new toy now passes the "revolver checklist" with flying colors.:D

Randy

FYI Randy63, the 6 1/2"bbl was the most common. Only 25% had the humpback hammer. The SN range was 45768-62489. The registration number was not the same as the SN.

That sounds right. Mine has the humpback hammer. The serial # is 54xxx. Are the ones with the humpback hammer worth a premium?

Randy

Can't give a definitive comment on the humpback hammer but it looks like you have every reason to be a happy camper.

Also looks like you scored with the work by Smith too. Seems spotty there these days. From horrible to outstanding depending on your luck.

Sam

Made in 1938. Since humpback hammers were an option and only 25% were ordered with them, they would be worth a premium. Definitely worth a letter to S&W. To bad the original reg cert isn't with it.

You are blessed man, that old jewel would be the center piece of any S&W revolver collectors collection. I too collect Smith & Wesson revolvers and I have never seen one like yours, I've read about them, but I've never seen one in real life.

7th

Back