S&W .357 Model 640 (just dreaming 4 now)

Jorah Lavin

Hey, all.

I'm just suffering from it being 6 months since my last gun purchase, with no money for my next one... but I know just what I want.
http://data.smith-wesson.com/images/firearms/small/640.jpg

I really like the looks of this gun, which would be my coat-pocket gun in the winter and a backup gun in the warmer months. Just wondering if there are any "gotchas" to be wary of with this particular model, and if anyone has any good or bad anecdotes to share, I'd love to hear them.

-Moss

This advice is worth what you paid for it.

I settled on the 642 as compared to the
640 because:

1. I found the 640 just a touch to heavy
and a little longer for pocket carry.
2. Full power loads were a bear to shoot.

Thus, for lesser "stopping power" and more
carry comfort, I went 642. But the 640
is a great gun. Rent one and shoot it with
some 357s before you decide, if you haven't
already.

I have both a 640 and a 642. I have only had the 642 about 3 months and the 640 2 years. Both are great carry guns. However, I think the 640 is a little heavy for a pocket gun. That is the reason I went for the 642. I have found the 642 a delight to carry. It is not as powerful as the .357, however. I am willing to sacrifice some power to have the lesser weight. The 640 is in fact a handfull with full power loads. I carry 125gr Speer GD in mine. In the 642 I carry the Fed 125gr Nyclad and the 129 gr HS +P. The 1911 is my first love and I have a compact that is a good carry gun. I do find, however, that one of the revolvers gets the call most of the time. In summary, both are great carry guns, but on balance the 642 gets the nod from my perspective. Good luck, Jerry

I have both a 640 and a 642. I have only had the 642 about 3 months and the 640 2 years. Both are great carry guns. However, I think the 640 is a little heavy for a pocket gun. That is the reason I went for the 642. I have found the 642 a delight to carry. It is not as powerful as the .357, however. I am willing to sacrifice some power to have the lesser weight. The 640 is in fact a handfull with full power loads. I carry 125gr Speer GD in mine. In the 642 I carry the Fed 125gr Nyclad and the 129 gr HS +P. The 1911 is my first love and I have a compact that is a good carry gun. I do find, however, that one of the revolvers gets the call most of the time. In summary, both are great carry guns, but on balance the 642 gets the nod from my perspective. Good luck, Jerry

i like the 640 over the 642 (don't mind the weight) just got back from magna-port, need time to go out and hit the range. i like the 640 as it just feel's a little more comfortable in my hand (put a hogue mono grip instead of the uncle mike grip) either way you can't go wrong. oh yeah i also have a 640 from s&w preformance center too.

This is what I want from SW!

A 942 - alloy frame 9mm.

Some gun rag writers a few years ago mentioned
them but they don't exist. I asked SW and
they told me that the frames couldn't handle it. But c'mon - use some technology.

Also, in dreamland - use some tech to dump
the moon clips. There have been some solutions
like the 547, Rugers' and the Medusa.
Make one work!

I have owned two M640s and one M442. I always deferred to the lighter 442 with .38 special loads... until it locked up on me at the range. Never had any problem with either M640. My nod goes to the M640 -- suck up the extra weight. My carry loads were either the 158 grain +p .38 special load from Winchester or Federal, or the 110 grain .357 magnum JHP from Winchester. This is a great concealment gun -- best of breed in my opinion. Only pain is the lousy sight picture. But, at the range for which this gun is intended, target sights aren't necessary. If I could only have one handgun for personal defense the M640 would be it.

I went and bought a 640(mismarked 642) in 38 Special with the 3 inch tube for Daughter. Here's what I've noticed....

Using hot 38s, like my old duty load, 110 gr +P+,shows one mighty impressive fireball in low light. Imagine a volleyball sized sphere of blue flame. Kick is up there also. Can't imagine what the 357 loads look and feel like.

Replaced the standard grip with Compacs, now my little finger has a home. Still easy to conceal.

Trigger pull is smooth but heavy, inevitable in the J frame. A little polishing helps.

Good luck, I think you'll like the 640.

I've owned the 640 357 Magnum Centennial S&W. I traded it for a Centennial Airweight in 38 Special. That extra few ounces means the difference between constantly hitching my pants up or not. If the Titanium Centennial model is within your means, I would also recommend it, even over the airweight. Every few ounces makes a differnce, IMO.

As far as people commenting about recoil, I want something to put that bullet out there smartly! Damn the recoil, full speed ahead!

I suspect that the 2 1/8" 640 puts most of that extra powder into the impressive fireball that is visible in broad daylight rather than much higher velocities, but that's just my impression. You will be happy with any Centennial, just think the lighter weight is better for CCW.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

I've got a 640-1 through which I have shot factory magnum loads in 110, 140 and 158gr. weights. None are pleasant. However, it seems to me that factory 110 gr. loads from Federal produce nearly the same recoil as Winchester 158 gr. LSWC-HPs .38+Ps. Stout, but controllable. Noise, blast and flash are a different story however.

I prefer the Winchester .38 load. It allows me to practice regurally with reloaded equivalents without wearing out the gun. The extra strength built into the 640-1 makes it an excellent .38 spl. It will last through many years of shooting (as a .38), an important consideration in these days of increasing firearm regulation and the accompanying increases in price.

I bot the .357 with the 2 1/8" bbl. Don't mind the recoil although it is heavy. Worst thing is the silly "bull" barrel (like the barrel needs to be so stout when the cylinder is the same)
That barrel keeps it good for front pocket only. I went back to my old M36 that drops into a small pocket.

Back