S&W 327 2" pug nose?

dontcatchmany

Any of you have one or have shot one?

What are your impressions?

Recoil, accuracy, pocket or IWB carry.

Can you shoot it with full load 357 magnum comfortably!

Thanks in advance!

S&W 327 2" pug nose?

Not the S&W 327 by any means, but I’ve fallen in love with my Taurus 617, which is a 2” barrel, 7-shot .357 Mag. I carry it IWB, though it’s no lightweight at 28 oz. empty, but the extra weight helps soaking up felt recoil from the .357 125 gr Golden Sabers I shoot out of it. Nothing like my old LCR 357, which only weighed in at 17 oz. empty!

I cannot imagine trying to carry a 7 round speed loader on my belt or in pocket without looking like I have a tumor!LOL
How do you manage it? Hats off if you can.

The 327 is called a Pug Nose.....and it is a 2" Snub nose. I think that pug nose label comes from it having a regular sized grip with a 2" barrel which makes it look puggy (Dang I have invented a new word).

HVR, for my revolvers, including the 627, I use speed strips. I have speed strips for all of my revolvers but do not use them for carry. I do sometimes use them for practice and keep them loaded and in the for use if necessary.

I just could not carry the speed loaders. Never could figure out how to carry them unless I stashed them in my crotch for visual effect...lol.

Speed strips work quite well. As a matter of fact I use speed strips for all my revolvers.

Last edited:
S&W 327 2" pug nose?

I cannot imagine trying to carry a 7 round speed loader on my belt or in pocket without looking like I have a tumor!LOL
How do you manage it? Hats off if you can.

More often than not I just carry a pair of speed strips, but even with a speed loader/pouch on my belt it disappears, as my short, wide self wears my t-shirts one size larger than actual (so a XXXL LOL).

5c7098c8ff9288560d394ab41a7ca840.jpg

I always wanted the 45Colt version with the pug barrel.
How does this butter your biscuit? 45 Colt of course. The little bugger is very surprisingly accurate, no problem at all for me to keep both barrels in a man-sized torso at 20 yards. And recoil isn't that bad either even with stout Buffalo Bore rounds. Some scoff at a derringer for self-defense, but anyone who stares down those two gaping bores and keeps coming has let his brains dribble out his rear end. And yes, it packs a very good wallop even with those stubby barrels!
attachment.php

Last edited:
I received the 327 today.

Was a used gun, but it is in excellent condition.

I looked it over before firing and it was very clean and looked only slightly used.

Took it out to my back yard range and fired 48 rounds of 38 special through it. Federal 158 gr (non +P) Lead Semi Wadcutter, Underwood 158 gr +p SWC hollow point and Buffalo Bore (non +P) LSWVHP.

The gun shootsexceptionally well at 10 yards First couple of rounds I shot low but adjusted my sight alignment and the rest of the ammo was very accurate. The trigger is very smooth.

Tried to put a Pachmayr N frame Diamond Pro grip on it and could not get it to fit.

I will put the wood grips back on and maybe try some 357 magnum tomorrow. The Underwood was stout with the wood grips. I kinda think that I will not shoot much 357 with the wood grips and no back strap covering to absorb recoil. And, I am not a fan of wood grips as they make a gun feel slippery.

I wear Duluth Trading work cargo pants and the 327 fit in the lower pocket easily without a holster......got to find a pocket holster for it. Yes, it will pocket carry comfortably for me.

I have one and the wood grips carry well. The point of impact shifts greatly between weights. Mine is dead on with 158 38special. I made a custom IWB holster that doesn't cover the cylinder. It keeps it as thin as possible, which is still pretty fat but it rides inside the pocket of my hip so not too bad.

What it is is UGLY! And I question the ability to cleanly eject full length 357 empties with that "stubby" ejector rod. Maybe it does work but I have my doubts.

If S&W had put a 3.5" barrel on that fix sighted N-frame (like the early M27s) I would own at least one of them.

Dave

And I question the ability to cleanly eject full length 357 empties with that "stubby" ejector rod. Maybe it does work but I have my doubts.
It uses moon clips - which are included.

IIRC - they (S&W) also offered a model like this in .45acp.

Anyhow - you'll get no disagreement from me on the appearance.

Oh yes the 327 the gun I lusted for for quite a while after it came out but my 325 PD seem to fill the need of it's place.

Back