S&w 296-----44spl

contender4040

I have a chance to get a S&W 296 "ti" airweight for $400 inc tax (2nd hand--excellent shape)from a local shop. The weapon feels good in the hand and has a very good trigger. The main driving force is more of a "want than a need" as it complements my mdl 12s and mdl 38---though the thought of a .44 carry piece is appealing. I am looking for additional information (already used the search). Is the pratical accuracy, control, & "shoot to point of aim" good with this weapon? Anyone had any problems with it?

I'd suggest that, IF POSSIBLE, you FIRE this revolver PRIOR TO purchase...some people LIKE the "Titanium Wonders", some DISLIKE their somewhat sharper recoil...FWIW....mikey357

Recoil's not unmanageable...

...but it is noticeable.

The gun is one ounce lighter than a Charter Bulldog Pug, and recoil is comparable.

Mine needed some work on the hand & star and a set of Wolff springs to give an acceptable trigger pull, FWIW.

296ti1s.jpg

My fanny pack gun is a Model 296. So far it's proven to be a quality piece with no problems that I'm aware of.

Recoil with Winchester 200 gr. Silvertips is less than I expected and really not bad at all. OTOH, the gun jumps way too much with PMC 185 gr., which is evidently a hotter round (I'll save the PMC for my 6 1/2-inch Model 624 :)). I suspect that S&W designed the 296 with Silvertips in mind, but have never seen any confirmation of this idea.

BTW, I bought my 296 new but pre-pact, after it had sat in the dealer's case for over a year. During that period a lot of customers looked at it, hefted it, expressed amazement at it--and then handed it back. I don't know if they objected to its odd appearance, .44 Special chambering, presumed recoil, or what.

Anyway, I'm glad to have it. YMMV.

Back