S&W 28-2

Coop57

Can someone give me some info on the model 28 revolver. When was it discontinued, frame size?
Thanks in advance.

It's an N-frame, the same frame size as the .44 Spls., Mags., and .45 Colts.

The 28 was pulled from production in 1986, which was the height of the "WonderNine revolution" in the US.

The 28-2 was in production from 1961 until 1982.

In 1969 the "N" prefix on the serial number was first used.

Given that criteria, you can narrow your production years down a little bit.

If you post the first several characters of the serial number (leave off the last 3 or 4 numerals) I can narrow it down to hopefully a specific year.

Okay, I'll bite

N95XXXX, Thanks in advance.

As far as the wondernine revolution, I did that for a few months in '82 and by '86 I was back with .45's. In '92 I picked up a Glock G22, experimenting with the .40 S&W -- I think I have a buyer and then I'll get another G21. .45ACP in semi-auto's and .357 in revolvers -- makes ammo purchases much simpler.

[Edited by riverdog on 02-22-2001 at 06:13 PM]

Interesting.

My "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" doesn't have serial numbers for the 28 as high as the one you've listed.

It ends in 1982 with N932101. That's what's printed in the book, likely meaning that when the book was complied, records weren't available for anything past N932102.

This appears to be one of those "funky guns," in which the model markings don't jive with the factory serial numbers.

Mike, you had me worried for a couple minutes, but I checked to varify the sn. The revo is a 28-2 and the serial # is correct as previously noted. What's the date of the reference material?

Just out of curiosity, what's the date for a Model 27-2 sn N65xxxx? That's my deal of the century revolver ... again, TIA.

Dog,

The book was written in 1994-1995 time frame.

It's not surprising that this happens. There are, at other times, enormous gaps in S&W's serial number information, or it simply isn't available for use by the authors, or it was somehow omitted when the final edits were being performed on the book.

I'll ask Rick Nahaus, one of the authors of the book I'm talking about, about it next time I see him. He lives in my neck of the woods, and I occasionally run across him at gunshows while we're both sniffing around for deals on used S&W revolvers.

According to the book, your 27-2 was made sometime in 1980. Also according to the book, there were over 200,000 serial numbers blocked out for N-frames in 1980 alone! :eek

Something fishy there, if you ask me.

I think I'm going to give Rick a call tomorrow.

Mike,
Thanks for the info regarding the S&W N-frames. I really thought the 27-2 was older based the pinned barrel and the overall superb workmanship (not to mention the absolutely beautiful nickel finish). Also, the paperwork that came with the gun was in English only and referenced S&W being a Bangor Punta Company. When did Bangor Punta own S&W? I'm really a novice at collecting S&W's and usually just shoot them, but this is really interesting.

Dog,

BP owned S&W from the mid-1960s until 1987.

S&W stopped pinning & recessing the magnum guns in 1983.

I've got around a dozen S&W revolvers now, and only two are post barrel pinning.

Interesting. The N95xxxx Mod 28-2 is recessed but is not pinned. Maybe it came from from the transition after they stopped pinning but before they ran out of recessed cylinders ...

Dog,

Yep, that's probably the case.

As with many other gun makers, S&W doesn't have a dedicated production line for each model. They'll make a run of frames for a 28 or a 57 based on projected sales figures, and then warehouse the parts until they need the inventory. Things like cylinders are made more "on demand," so it's not uncommon to see transitional guns like the one you describe, or earlier variant guns with a serial number that should put it into the next variant.

Back