S&W 27-2 NIB

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
What do y'all think of a six inch S&W 27-2 new in the box, never fired, and in a presentation case with all the tools for $500? Too much? This includes shipping to my FFL.

If its TRULY UNFIRED, and in PRISTINE condition, then $500.00 would be a FAIR price...I don't think that the seller could hope to realize much more, in fact, but...how often do you find one in that condition? And WITH all the accoutrements? Not often enough to quibble over price, IF its what YOU WANT....mikey357

Agreed with mikey357.

If the condition of the Model 27 is as new, with no indication of neglect or abuse, I'd probably go for it, since I'm a big fan of this model anyway. I read somewhere that "quality is remembered when price is forgotten," and have found this to hold true, unless the price is simply a rip-off, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Go for it. $500.00 is a fair asking price for any N-frame Smith w/all the trimmings.
S&* recently offered a version of the 27 new from the factory that was assembled from their stock of spare parts. The asking price on these was, I believe in the mid $800.00 range but w/out the presentation case. (Presentation cases by themselves fetch around $60.00 at local shows) These factory units don't compare to the older standard off the shelf 27's from 20-30 years ago.

Ditto to what the other guys said. Decent price, but excellant value.

Thanks, guys. I thought it was a fair price myself. I'm gonna get it. I knew I had messed up when I got those two Elmer Keith books for Christmas. What do you think about a pristine K-22 Outdoorsman made in 1947 with a 6" barrel for $600 with no tools, box, etc?

TOO HIGH! You can find very nice 5 screw K22s in the $300 to $400 range.

FYI, the "outdoorsman" named K22 was discontinued in 1940.

It is worth the $500 IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO SHOOT IT. If you are going to collect it you should be fine, but why buy NIC for a shooter. I bought a 27-2 8 3/8" in the cardboard box with paper, got it from the second owner who was a friend of the original owner and it didn't have 200 rounds through it, no wear. $375 at the Tulsa gun show and that was a little more than I wanted to pay, but it had box and papers with it and was in primo condition. I have shot the gun and intend to continue doing so without causing a drop in price. I also bought a 5-screw K-22 at the Houston Astrohall show for $265 in 99% condition from an estate, but there was no box.

Thanks, guys. I had told the owner that I thought the K-22 was too high but you know how that goes. I don't think the man really wants to sell it but promised his wife:)

Jimmy, you're quote is almost spot on from some of the early-years Rolls Royce magazine ads "Long after the price is forgotten, the quality is remembered". I am a poor judge of Smith-flesh, unfortunately, since I lust after every pre-agreement revo they ever made. I mean, ALL of them. Not a good representative of each model. All they ever made. Sigh.... If I were Gates-rich, I'd run my own buy-back for S&W revos.

You LIKE IT, (Insert big grin here)
It's pretty plain you haven't fired it yet ;)
Just wait till you shoot it! A big ole N-Frame is the nearest thing I can think of to describe the term "live steel".

Back