S&W 25 cal SAA

sfbr

Inactive
I have what I believe to be a fairly old S&W 25 Ca. SAA. It has a serial no. of 49558. It does not have a trigger guard, has a spur type hammer and breaks up to pull out the cylinder for ammo changing. It has a patent date of dec 15 1863.

My question? Is it worth anything of value and can I shoot it. I really am dying to pull the trigger on this one. By the way the action is really stiff.

Thanks

rrr

I think we need a decent picture, and a better check on the markings. S&W never made a .25 caliber revolver, and "SAA" means Single Action Army, a term used for a Colt revolver. Also, I can't find any S&W patent date like that you describe.

Jim

S&W 32 Cal

I do not know why I said 25 cal. It is a 32. and the last patent date on the cylinder sure looks like dec 15 1863. It could be 1868, but I cannot be sure. I will take some pictures and try to post them here. Thanks for the input.

rrr

That makes more sense, but the patent date does not jibe. S&W only made one spur trigger breaktop in .32, the Model 1 1/2 Single Action. 97,574 were made from 1878 to 1892 with serial numbers from 1 to 97574. There is a string of patent dates, but Dec. 15, 1863 is not among them.

Jim

Back