S&W 25 - 5 45 Colt -- Ammo Question

lonegunman

This is an N Frame gun. Is it as strong as a 44 mag N frame?

Would you shoot hot 45 Colt (not ACP, i mean the real 45 Colt) ammo in it?

I guesstimate this to be a 1980s gun.

My guess would be shooting hot stuff wouldnt be a problem...

I have one. Reputedly, its stronger than an old Colt SAA, but weaker than a Ruger. Same frame as a N frame .44, but the weak spot, I'm told, is in the bolt cuts in the cylinder - right over the hole instead of between 'em!

I have pretty good success with 12.8 gr Blue Dot and a homecast molyplated 255 wfn at about 950 fps.
I've been told that this is about the limit for this revolver.:eek:

Tom

I have a 25-5 and if you look closely you will see that you can read a newspaper thru the cylinder walls. They dont get any thinner. That being said, this is one of my favorite revolvers and I dont feel at all undergunned with it. I load it light. If the need arose, I would not be afraid to shoot something hotter in it. If I want hot, I have 41's and 44's.

My 25-5 and 625, both .45 Colt, are my favorite shooters. They are NOT as strong as the N Frame .44 Mags. Stick with loads in the 850-900 fps range, and the 255 gr. SWCs, and the gun will outlast you, given proper cleaning and care. I've been through the "how strong are they" syndrome, and the light finally went on - they are strong enough, with those loads, and have will take anything you are likely to face if placed properly.

TRUST OTHERS?

Look in every load manual; "Ruger / TC ONLY".

Been figured the Soft & Weak is good for about 19,000psi. "Cowboy" up to 14,000, Ruger up to hahahahahahahaha! Okay, mebbe 37,000 (safe at 32,000), so why exactly did you buy a S&W when you really want a Redhawk?

Oh, by the way. "Hot" ammo wears out equipment faster (sometimes one shot LOL).

Ok, I know not to use the ammo for Ruger/TC only, and I am not trying to get 44 mag performance out of it.

But I dont want to just put cowboy loads in a gun I might want to use for defense.

So how about a 230 g bullet going at about 1000 - 1100 fps? Do you think that would be a problem?

The N Frame .45 Colts and .44 Mags. are nearly identical in outside diminsions. I have been told by people who work on the guns (not in the office) that the metallurgy and heat treatment are the same. Boring six .45 Colt holes in the same block leaves much thinner chamber walls, and this is the critical difference. "How much difference" - everyone backs away from that one. Hamilton Bowen bores 5 holes in his cylinders, for the heavy loads. All the loading manuals differentiate between loads intended for Ruger and "other guns". If you stick with the 850-900 fps loads, with 255 gr. SWCs, and practice, the combination will give you shirt-pocket accuracy out to 50 yds. Not much on this continent can stand up to that. A good 300 rnd. day at the range can give you a satisfying ache in your wrist and hand. Too many of them in a row can put your wrist and hand in a brace. Magnums only do it quicker, and hot loads in the 25s only knock them out of time sooner.

GREAT!

A 230g going 1000-1150fps is perfect, and will cause no harm.

Just don't use AA2 or Bullseye to get there.................

S&W 25-5 and "hot" loads

While the smith is stronger tha the SAA cylinder by a small amount its not by much. So My limit has been that any load that you can safely use in a modern steel 45 long colt SAA revolver you can use in the smith. This includes 10 grains of unique as well as 16 grains of 2400 or just about any load that gives you 1000 fps with a 250 bullet. And after all what more do you really need if it won't fall from one of these it won't fall from anything. realisticly any critter in the lower 48 can be taken with this load. Up to and including blackbears and small(400LB) griz.
The 45 is a wonderful cartridge and the S&W a great gun. Just don't try and make it what its not. A 44 magnum. Yes the 45 can outdo the 44 with less pressure but NOT IN THIS GUN. :)

For jmlv - - -

Sir, I agree with your entire post EXCEPT- - -

It is not a good idea to post information on handloads which far exceed currently-published loading data without a bold-faced cautionary note, such as:

CAUTION: The above load information exceeds those currently published in loading manuals. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither The Firing Line nor any of the staff accept any liability for damage or injury to any equipment nor any person resulting from use of this data.

And yes, I've used some pretty warm loads in my own .45 Colt caliber revolvers, so I am NOT opposed to expanding the envelope.

Best regards,
Johnny
(Moderator,
TFL Handloading & Reloading Forum)

I'm with the guys who say keep it light or stay within pressures more associated with the original loading, about the hottest load I'm gonna use in my 45LC S&W will be 185grn bullets at 1000-1100fps and that will only be if I can do it with a slower burning powder.

After all, this gun http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/smith25.html is not a gun that I want to wear out, she's too pretty and I do intend to enjoy her for the next several dozen years.

Late Model S&W .45 Colt Loads-

Do a search for John Linebaughs page and read dispelling the myth!
Linebaugh who is the inventor of the famous five shot big bores favorite gun in a four inch six shot S&W loaded with 300gn LBT bullets.
My regular plinking load in the 625-6 Mountain Gun clocks a hair over 1000fps at one hundred yards using Laser Cast 300gners over H-110.

Back