S&W 25-2 good deal?

ShooterJD

Inactive
I have been wanting to get a revolver that accepts full moon clips for IDPA shooting for sometime. I don't want to buy a new Smith for all the right reasons plus I do not like the frame mounted firing pin on newer models.I found a like new 25-2 with a 6.5 inch barrel for $500 do you guys think this is a good price for the gun.I will have to get my gunsmith to shorten the barrell , trigger job, bob hammer, polish trigger, etc to get it the way I want it for match shooting. Probably cost me another $250 for all the custom work. I know by hacking the 25-2 there goes the collector value but I do not collect , more fun shooting them.All this said do you guys think this would be a wise move , any other ideas. Thanks, ShooterJD

WHOA!

If it's a 6.5" pinned-barrel 25-2, *&* collectors will find you and picket your house if you shorten the barrel!! ;)

The 6.5" pinned-barrel configuration is worth a $150 premium over regular book value for that gun. $500 is a fair price if it's in 96-99% shape. You'll wind up spending $250-$300 (maybe more if the gun needs re-bluing, which it probably will after a barrelectomy) turning a $500 gun into a $300 gun.

I'd keep looking around for a factory 4" gun or a 5" gun to shorten. Another option is to get a 686 altered to accept moon clips.

Hello All,

I agree with Tamara on this one; don't destroy
this relic by cutting the barrel. The S&W 25-2
is a very fine weapon; worthy of keeping in its
original, mint condition.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

If you can't find a raspier 25.......How bout a 586 ? Bob n moon it and your ready to roll. A good one with a lot of holster wear should go for around 200. Tough gun.

Sam

I have a 25-2 that I had chopped to 4" many years ago when I was big in bowling pin shooting. I was told that it would not be permitted in IDPA because that firearm never came from the factory with a 4" barrel, hence it's not a stock firearm. I'd have to find a 625 and use that. Just a word of advice. Might want to look into that! I have since used my 686-4" for IDPA.

I would look for a used 625 with either a 5" or 3.5" barrel and use that. I found a used 5" Model of 1989 for $325 last month, so just keep looking and you will find one. That 6.5" 25-2 is just too nice an old gun, esp. in that kind of condition, to cut down.

I agree that IF the "25-2" in question IS a "pinned and recessed" gun that it would be best not to "chop" it...AND, I'm positive that IF you have a 686 converted to use "moon-clips" that that setup WILL NOT be "legal" for IDPA, at least using the moon clips...as far as the "legality" of "chopping" a 25-2 to a four-inch barrel for use in IDPA, THAT I'm not so sure of...think I'd call/write/e-mail one of Bill Wilson's cronies before I went to that much trouble...FWIW....mikey357

Shortened 25-2 legal for IDPA

Well guys the 25-2 is in the house. I'm going to have my fore mentioned modifications done to the gun. I guess this will really p.o. some of you cause the gun is in perfect condition, no ring mark on cylinder or scratches at all. Excellent bluing and tight as a drum. I checked with IDPA and their rule is that you can shorten the barrel for stock service revolver class. I've just ordered a set of Hogue tulipwood grips with checkering and contrasting accent stripe to dress it up and for a much better grip than the factory ones.Thanks for all the input ,ShooterJD

Oh, well...

It'll just make them that much rarer, and therefore my roomie's will be just a tish more valuable now.

Carry on. ;)

ShooterJD--Congrats on your new purchase! Since you're payin' the freight, you can do whatever floats your boat, I guess...let us know how your project turns out! BTW, altho' it might be considered "Gamey" by some, I expect that you'd have EXCELLENT results "IDPA'ing" with ANY "Name" ammo manufacturer's 185-gr "Softball" target loads...sure works in my 625's!!!....mikey357

Back