S&W .22S

Two Wounds

I'm considering the purchase of an S&W 22S, a .22 semi-automatic pistol. As if I really need another gun! Has anyone had any experience with this particular model? Would you recommend it or not?

Thanks

I have a Pre Sellout S&W Model 22a and Like it. I put a red dot scope on it. Very accurate and reliable too no jams..

Good Luck I have a pic on my web site if you want to check it out..

I've been doing some research on the WWW, and have been pleased with what I've found so far. All evidence seems to point to it. I even pulled down a pic from S&W's site. I can't say I'm crazy about many of the other manufacturer's .22 semi-autos. Thanks for your input.

Yep. I bought a 22s before the sellout. It shoots rings around every other .22 I own, except my old High Standard, and that only barely.
Would I recommend it? No. Not really. It isn't built nearly as well as any of the others I own. Yes, a new one comes with a lifetime warranty, but with so much going against S&*, that lifetime may be limited to their's and not the buyers'. Mine is spooky accurate, but it shows wear on the slide, slide stop, barel retainer hook and a few other places. If you want super accuracy at roughly half the cost of a Model 41, then go for it. If you want something that will last, go Ruger or Buckmark or if you own a centerfire Glock, or 1911 take a look at the Ciener conversions.

I've owned an SW22A in the past and now have a 22S, the new gray one--all steel--and with a round bull barrel. They are both very accurate and excellent training and practice guns. I'd highly recommend them. I feel they're more accurate than the Rugers (I've owned the top of the line slab sides target gun) and they're much easier to keep clean and maintained that the Colt Woodsman, Ruger Mk series. I've never owned a Buckmark but I have shot a friends and prefer the SW22S to it. My experience would support your buying the 22S. By the way, I've needed some parts from time to time and found S&W customer service to be top notch--they not only mailed me the parts needed immediately, they didn't even charge me!

Thanks for the information everyone has supplied. I'm a S&W person at heart. Whenever possible I do try to purchase one of their fine firearms.

Until recently I was the very proud owner of a S&W 22A with the short 4 inch field barrel.

For $179 longevity was not an issue for me as some people I know spend that much every 6 weeks on ammunition. The gun never malfunctioned in any way right out of the box and I must have dry fired it about 5,000 times before I discovered that S&W strictly advise against this practice, thankfully all to no ill effects whatsoever.

The balance and feel of the 4 inch was a perfect match for a compact 9 or 40, and provided for very cheap and effective range sessions. I will be buying another when possible.

Downsides, well the sights are awful and the grips on the 22A (as opposed to the 22S) are plastic, but the soft rubber are available as an option. I would love one with conventional three dot combat sights, but have found no way of achieving this at reasonable cost - if anyone can think of one let me know.

Mike H

Back