S&W 22A Target pistol

2kiddad

I stopped by a shop today and saw a S&W 22A. Heavy, ribbed barrel. Target style, grey laminated wood grip. Nice blued finish. $249.00, NIB. I'm in the market for something that won't break the bank to shoot regularly, and this looks like a candidate. Any comments?

2kiddad,

Price is about right. I have one with a red dot sight, and it can put CCI ammo in 1" groups at 25yards from a pistol rest. My 22A is responsible for turning my wife and three kids onto shooting and it's terrific for a family day of poking holes in paper or plinking. Some turn their nose up at the 22A but I have no complaints with my pistol. One comment on the finish...I don't believe it's blueing, but rather a black enamel or laquer paint and it does chip a little over time. .....Dan in GA

Comments? Sure do.

Take a look at the Ruger MKII. Will feed anything, as dependable a firearm as you'll ever come across and very accurate - especially the bull barrel models. The pic on the left is the SS 5 1/2" Bull Barrel, but it is also available in blue.
kmk512b.gif
p4b.gif

Also, the models with the plastic grip frame (pic to right) that mimics the 1911 have a suggested retail of $275. You should be able to pick one up like this 4" model for somewhere around $200, 5" barrel is priced the same.

Plus, you'll have a good feeling that you haven't compromised and helped a traitor by buying a new Klinton & Wesson.

If you feel that Ruger is just as bad, you have another excellent choice in the Browning BuckMark.
bmplus.jpg
This is one of the "Target" models.

Either of these selections would serve you well. Is this the one you looked at? Nice gun - too bad it's a HUD owned K&W!! I'd choose one of the other manufacturers.
22a_55bt.jpg

Have fun selecting - One of the best pastimes is making a decision on a new firearm!

22a

I have one in a 5 1/2" and love it to pieces. Greatly accurate, and shoots everything... as long as you keep it fairly clean. Mine will sometimes mis-fire on a stubborn .22lr. A quick wipe down and oil job seems to solve that. I don't clean my .22s like I should. Otherwise, I have a red dot on it and it is really a great buy. I did have to send it back once for a broken slide hook, but customer service was great and turnaround time was acceptable.

I would have a hard time buying a new S&W product (I have been tempted) given their current political stance, but I would hold no ill will against someone who doesn't agree with my opinion on that.

Had the 4 inch base model in blue/black for a while last year, bought it in Pittsburgh for $179 NIB, but most people seem to get the 5.5 inch. No jams whatsoever, just some misfires with Remington Goldens, wife loved it, her best friends 7 year old was introduced to pistol shooting with it and needless to say loved it too. In fact come to think of it, everyone who handled that pistol loved it.

I have heard of people carrying the 4 inch for CCW which is a little excessive, we took it hiking with us (errrm that is we COULD have done if it wasn't illegal) but I wouldn't want to carry it holstered.

Some people say it's has a cheap feel, but what do you expect for less than $200 (I used to be confident saying that but now there is the Walther P22 of course).

Were it not for that incredible new Walther I would get another, but my next handgun of any caliber will be the P22 and I haven't even seen one yet.

Mike H

Back