S&W 22A problems

PaladinVC

I shoot a S&W 22A, and it's probably the most fun thing I've ever shot. I got the long barrel, and with that much metal pointed down range, there's almost no felt recoil at all. However, I have had two remarkable problems with it.

First, when the ten-round clip is filled up, the magazine is hesitant to lock into position. Often, I have to wiggle it around and re-insert it to get it to click in properly. Is there something I can do, or should I just push harder?

Second, I have occasional misfires with it. Not more than one every thirty rounds or so, but that's still way too many clicks where there should be bangs. I've tried a variety of ammo, and there's very little difference in performance. What can I do about this? I bought the gun used, but it looked to be in terrific shape. I am pretty friendly with the gun shop owner I bought it from, and he thought it was in fine condition. Should I have a gunsmith take a look?

Yes, it's a Smith & Wesson. If you'd like to comment on my decision to own it, or to shoot it, or to talk about it in public like this, please direct your remarks to my previous post, at http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66257 which has already been showered with advice about the moral worthiness of the manufacturer. Thanks.

Paladin

From the sounds of it your 22a is pretty much worn out. I'd either dump it for a 22s or just buy a 22s with a different barrel configuration and switch off the barrels. The stainless steel framed 22s is still not a Ruger in terms of brute strength, but it's much stronger than the aluminum framed 22a. Providing of course that the breech doesn't show signs of dry firing. If the breech shows marks from dry firing you SOL.

When you field strip it for cleaning is there a nylon slide buffer there? ( I suspect there isn't and the previous owner shot and dry fired it without one in place).If there isn't, you may have a damaged or cracked frame.

The pity of it is the 22a/22s is super accurate, but a pi$$-poor follow through on an excellent design. Had they made them right the cost would be double though and cut into the Model 41's realm. As much as I love my 22s and the extra 2 barrels I bought for it, it spends waaaaayyyy too much time in the safe because it's not up to the rigors of a plinker.

My half-fast(;)) non gunsmith based thoughts are that you're looking at some major $$$ to get a sub $200.00 gun back in shooting shape.
Possibles are:
New frame-ouch!
New slide-ouch!
New barrel-ouch! (mine cost me $99.00 a piece for the 2 I bought)

New magazine.
New firing pin.
New magazine release.

I would send the gun in to Smith&Wesson and let them take a look at it. Tell them you want an estimate as to how much it will cost to get it fixed. Quite often depending on whats wrong with the gun they will fix it and send it back at no charge. If they do want to charge you and the cost is too high you can tell them to send it back. You'll only be out the postage.

Back