S&W 22A and tatters 1 groundhogs 0

tatters

My S&W 22a has proven itself worthy. I terminated a small groundhog from about 40 yds using el-cheapo bulk .22lr. I am not even sure what brand,as I grabbed a handful of rounds from a mixed box. This is my first groundhog kill with this pistol.
I have been really happy with this (let me clarify) "before sellout" pistol. Politics aside,this pistol is a winner in my eyes.

------------------
And if you hear from my Louise, won't you tell her I love her so?

[This message has been edited by tatters (edited June 22, 2000).]

I quit using .22 handgun after a gross experiance with a squirrel. (he looked like a sieve after I was through)

IMHO, a .38 wadcutter has lots more smack.

You've got more experiance than I on this subject. Is a ground hog softer than a tree rat?

Giz

Groundhogs are too dumb to know they have been shot! I usually put several rounds in them anyway to make sure. I don't know about how soft they are, but I have never had an over penetration problem with a .22 on a g/h.
I did have an overpenetration problem once with an SKS and steel ammo. He trailed guts from both sides and still ran for about 10 yds. I finally finished him off with my Phoenix Arms HP-22.
As for squirrels, they are just that "rats".
I have shot them with .22 many times and have the best luck with Quik Shok fragmenting hypers.

------------------

I had about 7 of the vile fury creatures living in my backyard. I got one about a month ago(wounded him with an old .22 rifle and finished him off with a few rounds from my P90), but the others have been harder to kill. Several of them I've shot repeatedly with no effect whatsoever. It got really discouraging, so I bought a bigger rifle. Now, I can't get any of 'em to show their ugly mugs. Tis a shame because a few rounds of 7.62 would rid me of them forever

------------------
"There are roads that must not be followed, and battles that must not be fought.." --Sun Tzu

I have been using a Marlin .22 mag and it has been effective.
I have used 7.62x39 and it works great,too.

------------------

Back