S&W 19 and S&W 586, Is there a difference?

jmcbang

Inactive
I am looking into buying a nice affordable revolver in 38 and 357 mag and have narrowed down to two S&W's. The fist in the model 19. The second is the 586. What is the difference between these two pistols? Both have almost identical features and close to the same price. Does anyone out there know of a distinction?

Different frames. The M 19 is a K frame, the 586 is an L frame. The M19 is slightly lighter. The 586 will be a bit more durable with full power .357 Mag loads. If you plan to do most of your shooting with .38 ammo, the 19 is slightly lighter and smaller. If you plan to do a lot of shooting with full power magnums, the 586 will last a bit longer between services.

I have the model 66, the stainless version of the model 19 that you are looking at. It is slimmer and trimmer and wieghs less than the model 586. The action on my model 66 is better than on any model 586 or 686 that I have tried.

If you plan on carrying your gun, I think you would like the model 19 better.

If you plan on shooting a lot of hot .357 magnums through your revolver, I believe you would be happier with the model 586.

-Mk.IV

Last edited:
I have seen the figure 5000 rounds as the maximum number of hot .357 loads for a Model 19/66. This is FWIW, as I don't recall the source. In any event, you can still get plenty of practice with light loads, and enough practice with full house loads to use the latter for carry. (Always keep in practice with the carry ammo; too many people fall into the trap of using light loads for practice and then can't handle full power if they need to.)

Jim

A 4 inch 686 tips the scales at about 42 oz. com-
pared to 36 for the 4" M19 :eek: If you figure
2 oz. or so for the 686's full lug that leaves 4
oz. for the BEEF. B U T at 42oz. it's the same weight as some of my N Frame Smiths !...GET
a 19 as you'll proly be shooting .38SPLs 10:1
to .357s.

While I'm FWIWorthing a lot of folks find that a 4 inch tube is ideal in the K frame Smiths. Long
enough for good bullet speed but not too long to loose it's handiness...BEST...dewey

jmcbang....re 19 vs 586: I don't think you can go wrong with either. As stated above, the 586 has a bit more meat in the forcing cone, frame and cylinder walls. In the 2.5 and 3 in bbl guns, the weight difference is negligable. The grip frame is the same. In the 4" and longer bbls the 586's full length shroud makes it a bit more front heavy.........some like that and some don't.

With either one, stay away from ultra high pressure silhouette loads..........for that you need a N frame or better yet....a ruger.

For commercial defensive loads and under, either gun should run for many thousands of rounds before needing re-timing.

Ultra fast shooting (in the 6 per second range) will cause more wear n tear faster than defensive .357 loads. If you are into the fast n fancy stuff, the 19 should stay in time a little longer due to the slightly less cylinder mass if both have the same cylinder styles (ie both either recessed or not). The star, the hand, the hand pivot pin, the cylinder notches and the cylinder stop take a beating when crankin em out real fast.

I commend you on your choice of blued guns. In my opinion, based on experience, the blued versions will outlast their stainless sisters.

Sam

MODEL 19 LONGEVITY

MY PERSONAL SMITH M19, BOUGHT IN '71, HAS JUST UNDER 50,000 ROUNDS THROUGH IT. THEY ARE JUST ABOUT EQUALLY DIVIDED BETWEEN 38SPL AND 357MAG. THIS IS STILL THE FASTEST 4" 357 I'VE EVER CLOCKED. IT IS FASTER THAN ANY 6" 357 I'VE EVER OWNED.
ROUND 39,110 SHOT THE GASRING LOOSE IN THE CYLINDER. HAD IT BACK FROM SMITH IN 8 DAYS ALL FIXED,ALL GRATIS.
THE M586/686 357MAG SIXGUNS FEEL CLUNKY IN MY HANDS COMPARED TO THE M19 OR ITS' M66 ALTER EGO.
THAT BEING SAID MY ALL TIME FAVORITE 8 3/8" 357 IS A M586 WITH THE SILOUETTE SIGHTS THAT IS ALSO FASTER THAN A SCOLDED CAT.

Back