S&w 13-3

TekChef

I have a chance to get a S&W 13-3 .357 with less than 200 .38 special rounds through it. It's prob around 90%.
I know it's from the 80's and I want to know more about the model..
Accuracy, etc..how would it compare to say a new GP-100, etc?

Thanks for any help from the S&W gurus out there!

I used to have one of these!

Well, the 13 is a K-frame, best suited for occasional .357 use and general .38 use. The Ruger GP-100 is more comparable (tho still larger and with a more solid lockup) to the slightly larger L-frame (S&W 686, etc.). I would feel comfortable firing either the L-frame or the GP-100 (even the small SP-101, given its third front-lock-up) with .357s all the time. The 13 is essentially the model 19 without the adjustable sights. I like the heavy bbl and the fixed sights - it reminded me of a mini Model 58.

I have taped to my computer monitor a 1.5" one-hole group I shot offhand at 10 yds with my model 13, and it is by no means the best group I shot with that revo. I found that (factory) Smiths of that generation had excellent triggers. I personally found this made them a little easier to shoot accurately than the (factory) Rugers.

You didn't say how the revo was priced. I sold mine (in similar condition to the one you described, only with LOTS and LOTS more rounds through it) to a friend for $135 (no longer needed the gun, and I needed the money) back in '98, I think. This was a very good deal for my friend.

I liked the model 13 a lot. If it's priced right, buy it.

The M13 has a bit of history

connected with it. In the 3" barreled version, it was the issue gun to the FBI for decades, IIRC.

The Ruger GP100 is a much more massive gun purpose-built for a steady diet of .357. That said, the M13 will certainly handle more magnum loads than 'most' shooters will ever want to put through it. The S&W K-frame action is universally regarded as being much smoother than that of any Ruger, with but rare exception.

With only 200rds, it should be in a LOT better than 90% condition. Are you just being conservative, or is there some finish wear or corrosion on the piece?

thanks to all of those who gave me some info!!

I am being conservative on the condition. I won't know untill I handle it in a bit.

I am interested in more .357mag than .38, and I don't handload(yet..), so there will be no hot loads being put into it.
I am partial to the 158 grain .357, just wanted to know how the gun would hold up with a fairly regular diet of that round.

By all accounts, it'll have a long life

with those loads. It's the lighter 125gr(& 110gr?) loads that have been known to cause premature wear-and-tear on the K-frames. The 158gr was the 'original' weight load that the magnums were designed around.

Thanks for the extra advice Victor.
I may pass on it due to the fact I would like a heavier frame .357(686 or Gp-100) not only so I can fire about any load I dare fire, the recoil on the 13-3 I think would be a bit more intense than with a larger frame gun. As it stands now, I can handle about 50 158 grain .357mag rounds through a rental Gp-100 before my wrist starts to tell me to stop.(I am a tiny guy..5'9", 125lbs, and quite skinny.. .44mag+ is out of the question.).

Although, it does sound like a really nice revolver, and I might grab it and use it as a .38 with a bit of .357 mixed in here and there, then get a GP-100 6" Stainless later.

Your reasoning seems sound.

If I were going to buy a full-sized .357 today, I would be looking at the various 686 and GP-100 models.

Back