S&W 12ga finish, shot

BoogieMan

My sons used my S&W duck hunting and failed to wipe it down or at least hit it with some oil when they came back. I dont use the gun often. But, when a backup is needed it does pattern almost everything very nicely and it has been reliable with 3" ammo. The finish is shot. Very rusted. Internals are all fine. I am thinking I will just glass bead it and hit it with duracoat. I dont think the value of the rifle warrants re-blueing. Any input with ideas? Other than wrapping it around the kids heads.

I'm not sure I understand why it has to have any finish on it.
Certainly a gun paint will protect against rust, but it's already rusted.

Some people prefer to have their guns looking half way decent. I feel the same way, id likely have the shotgun cerakoted as there is a business nearby that does a fantastic job.

Depends....

If it's a low end shotgun, I too would go with Duracoat. Basically give it a paint job.
A higher end gun would get a higher end finish.

The rust just surface rust? As in 'light'? A fine, brass, wire wheel in a bench grinder or 0000 steel wool and oil will take it off. Depends on how "Very rusted." it is.
Smith pump guns aren't worth a ton of money. $300 to maybe $500 on the auction sites. So Duracoat or the like will do.

Back