S&W 10mm Revolver--Model 610?

Dave R

I saw a 10mm S&W revolver at the gun shop today. Is that a 610?

Anyone own one? Seems like it would "one up" the 625...

610 is a 10mm revolver. I'd be interested in picking one up sometime myself. There are a couple of threads in the General handgun forum about the 10mm. I noticed that First on Race Day has one.

Does anyone know if these were ever made with a blue finish? Pinned and recessed?

610's are awesome revolvers, especially if you reload 10mm like I do. Up until I got my 610 my 625 was my best shooting revolver but the 610 is better. Another good thing is because you are using moon slips, you can shoot 40 S&W in it as "lite" loads without any problems.

mdlowry,

There has never been a blued version of the 610 made. The 10mm hadn't been designed yet when S&W stopped pinning and recessing their revolvers. Besides, due to the fact that the rimless 10mm needs to be used with moon clips, it would be impossible for it to be recessed.

The 610 is a superb revolver. I've got a 610 Classic 6.5" that is just the cat's meow.

th_PFR09cCoBQIAACSBJ4A_4267_4.pjpeg

I have a S&W 610 classic and it's my favorite revolver. It is a pleasure to shoot!! The "N" frame is the perfect medium for 10mm--practically no recoil at all and extreme accuracy. The action on mine is perfect. If you use .40 S&W, then it's like shooting a .22lr. S&W 617. I like the moonclips and will eventually get a moonclip conversion for all of my revolvers from TK Custom/Clark Custom.

I handled one of those 4" 610s and fell in love... it just felt GREAT. Unfortunately the gun show goblin was asking something like $650 for it. :eek:

I've been looKing for one but then found a Ruger "Buckeye Special" new blackhawk convertible in 10mm/38-40. I'm thrilled with the find but will still be on the watch for a 610 cuz every needs a mission:D

Shot one a week ago - - -

Guy at local IDPA match was using a 4" 610, shooting .40 S&W in it. Looked interesting and he offered it to me to try. I was using a .40 BHP and shot his 610 with some of my factory 180 JHP ammo. It was not quite like a .22 LR, but it was much like a K-frame with std vel .38 Spl loads--Very manageable and pretty accurate.

I think that, with full power 10 mm loads, it would make a good sidearm out in the rough country for those a little shy about recoil and blast of a .44 Mag.

The 10 mm auto used to be touted as "a semi-automatic .41 magnum." I think the 610 is a revolver version of the automatic version of the .41 mag revolver. Gets a little circular, doesn't it? But one DOES have the option of using the .40 S&W for reduced loads.

Anyway, I'm not going to rush out and get one for myself, but it was fun shooting that one. And the owner did pretty welol int he match, too.

Best,
Johnny

In my saving for Glock 20C, I stumbled on to a 610-1 Classic 4 days after I purchased 657. I was looking at it just to humor the store owner when I was asked if I wanted it. I said "How much??" Somehow I got them instantly down to $435 and someone said "I'll take it".

I love the gun. As others stated, real shooter thanks to a big frame and 10mm. The only revolver I can empty all six rounds fast into a target. I really like moonclips now. I wish they would bring the 6.5" Classic back out.

For mcshot, WESHOOT2 and others who may be interested, this one is used, looks pristine. 4" barrel. The shop is asking $569. My hunch is there is some room to talk there. I even have the serial number.

PM or e-mail me if you want contact info for the shop. No, I don't get a comission. Just the satisfaction of making people happy.

I like everything about the 610 except for the unfluted cylinders and the fact that they don't come with chamfered chambers. Using .40's in them for IDPA is good because the relatively long throw of the ejector makes for very fast and positive ejection.

Back