?'s on a new shotgun

APBT

Inactive
My girlfriend bought me a new shotgun. The problem is I know very little about shotguns. Pistols, & assault rifles are what I prefer to shoot. The shotgun is stamped BENELLI ARMI SPA URBANI ITALY on the barrell. On the reciever it 's stamped HECKLER & KOCH, INC.- CHANTILLY,VA, on the right side. On the left side it's stamped SUPER 90. It has a flshlight mounted in the pump activated by a pressure switch on the right side of the pump, a pistol grip & shoulder stock, & side saddle. It takes 8+1. Any reason why there are two manufactuers name on the same gun? Any info on this shotgun is appreciated.

Manufacturer is Benelli, and importer is HK- pretty sure of that anyways.
Your shotgun is recoil operated semi- one of the 'best of breed' and very pricy compaired to many others out there. ITs a fine piece, and capable of very rapid hits. Light wieght too compaired to many. Before you choose a load for it (especially if you use it for home defense) thouroughly test it out to make sure it works fine- many light loads may have trouble cycling the action, and if you dont shoulder it well the same problem may occur. Otherwise, if properly loaded and shouldered, i think its the FINEST tactical semi out there.
Try the search function, it should prove fruitfull.

You have a wonderful girlfriend - get a ring on her finger.... FAST!!!!!!

IMO the Benelli Super90 is unconditionally the best semi auto shotgun in the world... period. It uses a unique inerta recoil system that is very simple, robust, and extremely reliable. I've got two Super90s - a 12ga M1 Field and a 20ga Montefeltro, they're both HK imports and have been great hunting guns.

Regarding light loads - don't worry. It's an "Urban Legend" that Benellis aren't reliable with light loads. I've shot cases of light 7/8 oz target loads in my 12ga, more light loads than anything else, and have never had a problem. I've even tried to make it miss-cycle by holding in limply and not against my shoulder and it always functioned 100%.

Benelli was imported by HK for most of the '80s and '90s. It was purely a marketing arrangement, HK had nothing to do with the manufacture or design of the Benellis in Italy. Since '98 or '99 Benelli has been importing under their own name (the old HK guns are identical in every respect). Benelli was purchased by Beretta in that same time frame (Beretta now owns virtually every gun manufacture in Italy). Proving that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" Beretta even makes two Benelli clones, the 1200FP & ES100, that both use Benelli's patented inertia recoil system.

For more information here's the link to the Benelli USA home page.

You might want to check up on the serial number of the gun to make absolutely sure that it is pre-ban. As stated in your description, it has pre-ban features. If it is post-ban with pre-ban parts attached to it, it is illegal. All you have to do to make it legal is to either swap out the pistol-gripped stock for a straight stock or change the mag from 8 rounds to 5. You don't have to do both.

If it is in deed a pre-ban, you are one lucky guy. If it is NIB, your girlfriend just spent at least $1K on you, take her out to dinner.

Thank you for the replies. I guess at the very least I do owe her a dinner. Does anyone know how to field strip it for cleanings??

To field strip: Go to the Benelli USA web site, under Owner's Manuals, the instructions for the Montefeltro are the same. If you send them an email I bet they'll mail you a new owner's manual for free.

Detailed cleaning is not required every time you shoot, every 500rds is more than enough. I know guys who have had Benellis for decades, shot thousands of rounds, and have never had the bolt out of the gun. There is no gas system, so there's nothing to clog up.

The receiver is aluminum, the barrel's bore and key internal parts are hard chromed. However, the exterior of the barrel is a matte blued steel and will rust so keep a light film of gun-grade oil on it. -- Kernel

Back