S&K InstaMounts - Worth the Price?

DennisCA

I have a several C&R rifles I want to put a scout-scope configuration and I was looking at several mounts, one of the them is S&K Instamounts.
The problem I have is the price; the one I am looking at is about $70.00 (which seems a bit pricy) plus mounts and plus a scope.
However the last thing I want is to get an inexpensive mount that won't last or hold a zero.

Thoughts or alternatives to S&K mounts?

I bought one from them a number of years ago and I can say that the mount, it's quality and the company and customer service behind it was top-notch.

Mating it to the rifle was a chore because I lacked the skill to properly identify the rifle -- which is not hard to imagine when you consider how many milsurps and variations of same actually exist.

In the end, it was my opinion that the entire concept was awful. Admittedly, I only put a hundred in to the cheap Simmons LER optic. I was just about at the end of my rope with the whole thing when I decided to yank it off and re-install the iron sights.

It was like having a new toy to play with. Originally, I -thought- I "needed" 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards or it was pointless. Now, however, I have a lot of ringing 6" steel at 100 or 8" steel at 200 yards.

I consider the money I spent on the mount and junk scope to be expensive experience. But the concept of an LER optic on a rifle is one I will never subscribe to again.

I'd say yes. I have not used the scout configuration, but the "regular" mount & rings I bought was fine.

I bought one for my #5 & it was simple to fit, went perfectly into place with no aggravation, & held zero just fine. Customer service was good as well.
DSCF1322_zpsc45d90c2.jpg

(Image (c) Wogpotter 2014)

The S&K mount for milsurp rifles which replaces the rear sight.....and thus the scope is mounted forward of the receiver (on the barrel) is fine. They are good mounts and will work with no problems. That is, as long as you can use/ get used to the forward scope ("scout rifle") configuration. I happen to like that setup, myself. The rear-sight type mounts do end up placing the scope rather HIGH, however. So, it is often necessary to add a cheek riser on the stock, to have proper alignment with the scope. But, overall, this can be made to work well - IF you like or can tolerate a long eye relief scope setup. Some hate this arrangement.

The other type of S&K scope mount for milsurp rifles, which sort of clamps around the receiver (and uses a conventional scope mounted over the receiver) .....is terrible. At least, for the Mausers it is terrible. Poor idea and just does NOT work well. I would avoid that one at all costs.

The best option, for scope use on a milsurp rifle, as I'm sure you already understand, is to drill and tap and place conventional mounts on the receiver. This can have it's own problems (bolt handle clearance, for example). As well, it will destroy the originality of the rifle - and make it NON-collectible.

IMO, the best option overall for milsurp rifles is to leave them alone.....and learn to use the iron sights. The irons can often be improved, by using slightly different types or slightly modifying them, without butchering the rifle. If one wishes to make a "sporter" out of a milsurp, IMO, it is best to go all out and do the complete job - or not do it at all. Milsurps with original stocks and poorly added scopes, etc. don't make for great all around rifles. On the other hand, one which has been properly "sportered" (a quality job, with all the details addressed)....can be a great all around rifle.

I have two of them on No. 4 Mk 1 Enfields and they work as advertised.
Once installed, they are stable and the scope stays zero'd.

The one shown in my post above attaches with 2 bolts using the original pivot pin holes for the rear sight & a "wedge" pulled up into the charger bridge recess.
This isn't the same exact mount, but it does use the exact same system of attachment as the S&K is a copy of this "Fultons".
(Image (c) wogpotter 2009)
DSCF6205_zpssxc5j8zz.jpg

IMO, the best option overall for milsurp rifles is to leave them alone.....and learn to use the iron sights. The irons can often be improved, by using slightly different types or slightly modifying them, without butchering the rifle. If one wishes to make a "sporter" out of a milsurp, IMO, it is best to go all out and do the complete job - or not do it at all. Milsurps with original stocks and poorly added scopes, etc. don't make for great all around rifles. On the other hand, one which has been properly "sportered" (a quality job, with all the details addressed)....can be a great all around rifle.

True, but if you have old eyes it may be the only thing that allows you to shoot them.

I have two, one for a1903 and one for a 1917. 1903 a bit more of an issue mount wise but it works. I would not put it on a good collector.

the 1917 is better and more solid but so high you can't get a check weld.

still works ok for target shooting

I don't think they are intended for anything other than that.

The S&K mount for milsurp rifles which replaces the rear sight.....and thus the scope is mounted forward of the receiver (on the barrel) is fine. They are good mounts and will work with no problems.

+1 on this. I have two of them. One on a mauser and the second on a mosin. Both are currently topped with inexpensive Simmons 4x pistol scopes. They make shooting past 200 yards much easier with my old eyes.

Back