S&* Heritage Series -Anyone seen them? Anyone know how much they sell for?

Hal

The pictures look good. I'm wondering if they look as good up close?

B4 *it* starts, I'm just looking and wondering.

I've only seen the pics too (they are pretty nice to look at). An article I read gave the price of the Model 25 Heritage as $950.

When I first heard about the Heritage series, the concept sounded fantastic.

The execution has left me a little baffled, however.

The case-colored frames are not "Heritage".
The Model 29 did not have a pencil (tapered) barrel.
Etcetera.

I guess the name "Vaguely Old-Timey Looking Series" got vetoed by marketing. :p

The beat goes on...

You'll note that most of these guns have distinctly non-"heritage" frame-mounted firing pins.

The Model 15 has the new-style cylinder release as well.

And the prices on the M1917's!!!! You can get real ones for that price! :eek:

Yeah.

They look absolutely nothing like the gun's they're supposed to emulate. I don't think ANY S&W revolver ever had a casehardened frame.

They're obscenely priced.

As long as the Agreement remains in place, purchasing one only helps degrade your rights.

All in all, not very attractive handguns on any front.

They are very beautiful guns RAE and look even better in person. If you've got the cash, go for it!

Gabriel

Did'nt Combat Handguns do a review of one of these a few months back and get '' great'' accuracy out of it. I seem to remember 4'' to 5'' groups. The reports of a sharp drop in QC would seem to be accurate.I personally cannot speak from experience as I know of no dealers in N.D. that will carry this brand. There is one shop that will special order but only if the customer really ,really just really has to have a S&W.

I love the old S&W's, but these don't do a thing for me. I would rather scramble for the original one's.

Heritage Series

I have one in 45 Colt. Beautiful gun. Also it is very accurate. I liked it enough, in fact, that I've ordered a second. Though not yet listed on Lew Horton's web site, it will be a blue finish, 6.5 inch tappered barrelled 44 Magnum. When money allows I'm going to buy a second one of these but with a nickel finish.

The Heritage series, I understand, is selling well. I'm certainly very happy with mine.

Mr. Waters,

That's one of the things I don't get; the 6.5" tapered barrel on the .44 Mag "Heritage" guns. :confused:

Tapered barrel on a .44 Mag:

Elegant and attractive? Yes; witness the popularity of the Mountain Guns.

"Heritage"? No. Even the first pre-model-number .44 Magnums had heavy barrels to reduce felt recoil.

The word Heritage here doesn't mean that it is an old timer. So of them were copies of earlier guns but clearly not all. They are suppose to have something of the look of the earlier Smiths but that's all.

I've got three of the PC 44 magnums and have been shooting them all quite a bit. Nice guns. Very different in barrel length and barrel design. Good fell to them. Work extremely well, as you'd expect from a Performance Center pistol.

I've also been shooting my Hertiage Series 45 Colt. Beautifully made gun but those grips are anything but comfortable. Still the Heritage 45 is far more accurate then the PC 44 Magnums. None of these are inaccurate guns, mind you, but the Heritage guns works better.

I'm starting to wonder if that older barrel design isn't just better.

Thanks everyone.

mec,
Thanks. I read the article and this:
My revolver, by contrast, came with a heavy six plus pound single action with the double action pulling through at almost twelve pounds. The trigger pull was not consistent one chamber to the next. I carefully removed the side plate and took one coil off the trigger return spring. – No other modifications were made. This caused an immediate drop in single action release to four and a half pounds with positive trigger reset. After firing approximately 300 rounds, the single action pull has settled in at about three and a half pounds and the double action is a smooth ten pounds, eight ounces. The action now exhibits the famous S&W crisp trigger release, smooth functioning and hitch-free double action delivery.
gives me all the info I need. Even if S&* drops their agreement, it looks like a pass based on that evaluation. That's just plain unacceptable in my book.

That is old news. Don't you think it is about time to give it a rest? Personally I think that the only reason this discussion continues is because you want to talk and have nothing worth while to talk about. There may well be a place for this discussion but it isn't here! Go away!

This thread has...

...reached the limit of discussion on *&* politics.

Please confine further posts in this thread to the revolvers themselves.

The only one of the bunch that gives me any pause is the Model 17. Love the old style looks of the round butt, long skinny barrel and that tall front sight.

I just don't get the case hardened frame. Correct me if i am wrong but they never actually made a revolver finished like that????

Nice toys, but they are too expensive; I could buy a used 617 4-inch 10-shot and a used 642 for the price of the 17 and be much happier for the pair.

I actually got to handle AND fire one in april

of this year. At the Sixgunner sites "NorEaster" shooting weekend. Doc O'Meara had it and brought it with him. It was the new model 45 Long Colt "Triple Lock" Its not really but it does have 3 locking points. The fit and finish of the gun was excellent the best I have seen from S&W in years. The action was even better smooth and light. Double action shooting was astually easier than my Officers Model Match and thats butter smooth.
The gun was extremely accurate and we had noi trouble hitting targets at 50 yards or more. Doc liked it himself enough that he told us it was staying with him. Not going back to the factory.
As to price its a bit expensive but after shooting it I can say truthfully itsa worth it.:D

Back