S.A. service grade Garand with TE of 2

While that doesn't sound like an unused barrel, I would worry more about the muzzle. These rifle have a reputation for shooting pretty well even with a lot of throat erosion.

Unless I was trying to go Distinguished with that rifle, it's probably no big deal.

TE of 2 is less (meaning better) than the grading guidelines CMP uses to grade rifles as "service grade". Refer to www.odcmp.com/sales.

As to the degree of throat erosion, 10 failed US Army specs, calling for rebarreling. A TE of 2 is very functional. BTW, estimates suggest wear of 1 for each additional 1,000 rds fired.

You should also have confidence in a CMP rifle as it has been headspaced by a qualified armorer and test-fired by CMP. That said, if in doubt, have your rifle examined by a qualified gunsmith or armorer. Just clean and lube per tech instructions on the website, USE M2 BALL AMMO OR EQUIVALENT ONLY, and enjoy.

Cheers,

FH

2 doesn't necessarily indicate any wear. It could be new. Either way, it's a good number.

The muzzle is far more important to accuracy. Muzzle wear is a function of how many times a USGI cleaning rod has gone down the bore.

Actually not, .30CAL...and I clean my M1s with a pull through flexible cleaning rod that I start at the breech rather than the muzzle. I've used rod guides in the past when I cleaned from the muzzle.

Cheers,

Harry

PS-my principal shooter, a SA CG, measured TE 1/MW 0 when I got it...1000 rds later, it's TE 1.5+/MW 0.5.

FH

Steel with a rockwell hardness of 21'ish will wear, even if you're not using a steel rod, if you work on it long enough. But you're going to have a tough time getting MW above 2 without the use of a segmented cleaning rod.

Back