S.A RO ELITE OPERATOR.45 safety issue

Cowboyfromhell

I just had to send my brand new 1911 in for warranty repairs. Apparently their is an issue with the ambi-safety. When manipulating the the thumb safety with my left hand, it actually pushes the opposite side away from the frame and locking-up the gun entirely. It works correctly when using right hand but not the left. I'm pretty bummed out because this is my most expensive gun to date and I really like it. After 250 rds of various brands ammo I was ready to make her my edc. I even ordered up some nice custom leather for her too. I hope they can fix her up. Anyone else see this problem on their S.A.?...

Ambi 1911 safeties usually have some way of keeping them from coming out of the gun . For instance on this one there is a little projection/ a little "flap" on the right hand side that fits between the right grip panel and the frame that keeps it in position. What does yours have to provide that function? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1070501508

My SA ambi is ok for what it is. I am righthanded so it only gets used when a match stage calls for a draw and transfer to the left hand.

If you are a southpaw and pound that ambi every time you draw or pick up the gun, you may want something sturdier than factory. EGW and Wilson have stouter safeties but they are expensive. I have King's on a couple of guns but they are no longer in business. Kimber is similar but I don't know how they hold up.

I've found production 1911s can have small issues, such as the OP's issue, where the gun needs to be sent back for remedy.

Some folks are capable of doing these fixes themselves, but with a new gun with great warranty service, the OP did the right thing.

With any 1911, just have a spare gun on hand if your 1911 is down for "fixing" for awhile. In this case, it shouldn't take Springfield-Armory long, at all, to fix and ship back.

Back