RWS Model 48/52/54

Futo Inu

I guess this is the place for an air rifle post. I have had an RWS model 34 for years, and a model 45 before that, which is just a 34 with a nicer stock and a "recoil" pad. I have enjoyed these immensely and shoot them more than my firearms.

I am contemplating stepping up to a nice one, probably the 48, with a scope. This is an extremely beautiful rifle to my eye, and has the side-cocker/fixed barrel action, which makes it accurate and powerful (advertised vel of 1,100 in .177, which means about 950 fps in reality - but still very good). These run about $335.00 or so. The 54 Air King is the granddaddy among sporting (non-competition) RWS air rifles. It's a recoilless and decked out version of the 48. I think it's somewhere between $700-$900, but not sure.

Questions: Anyone had experiences with any model 48/52/54, and particularly, can anyone tell me if the 54 recoilless version is worth all the extra cash? Anyone had experiences with any competitor in a similar, high-quality sporting rifle (Beeman, etc.)? Seems to me that Beemans are more money for less gun. Can anyone recommend a quality air scope (they must be made differently than a rifle scope)? Finally, I'm thinking .177 is still the best caliber for any air rifle, but RWS offers the model 48 in .177, .20, .22, and .25. The .20 cals are a limited run. Does anyone have actual experience that says a .20 or .22 or .25 has served a particular purpose better than a .177 would? Thanks.

Can't help you with RWS - they're too rich for my blood. But I do have some big bore airguns, one of which is a Farco. It shoots a .433 caliber lead ball and from about 20 yards, I shot through several 3/8" layers of sheetrock backed by a 3/8" piece of plywood. The ball went through the plywood and lodged itself into the telephone pole behind it. Big bore BB guns are fun. Shucks, I'd feel comfortable harvesting the King's deer if I had to with it. But I don't think I'd look good in either an orange or red jumpsuit though.

I have a 36 in .177 and it is pretty good on squrrels. I have two friends, one with 52 in .177 and one with 48 in .22. The .22 will knock'em out of the tree with a body shot where the .177 needs a heart/head shot to do the same. The only difference between 48/52 is the stock, 52 is checkered with higher cheek rest/monte carlo type.

I have a Mod. 54 Air King .177 $650.00 through Airgun Express w/RWS mount and RWS 2x7 scope
and let me tell you without hesitation
It flat out kicks a**! The most accurate air gun I have ever owned. Weighs a ton! Just loves the cheap daisy pointed pellets.
I adjusted the trigger and put on a brake of my own design, and with a Harris Bi-pod? "Gods honest truth" I can consistantly hit quarters out to about 60/70 yrds No kidding!! No Bs! I Take it to some of the fun shoots we have, to let the kids have at it , we sit at the bench thats across A ravine on the other side 60/70yrds with broken clays and you get bored by hitting everthing in sight!!

[This message has been edited by PEA SHOOTER (edited June 01, 1999).]

Back