RWS 54 Issue - What should I expect?

UncleLoodis

Greetings all.

I just purchased an RWS 54 air rifle, .22 cal., with RWS 4 x 32 scope (came with the rifle), new, from MWUSA. I have been trying to sight it in, in my back yard, at 30 yards, using RWS 'superdome' pellets (14.5 grain). I have had mixed results. I have shot 1" groups, I have shot 4-5" groups. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason for the difference. It will be dead on, then not. I use the "artillery hold" grip. I have also tried a regular grip...seems to make little, if any difference. The scope mounts are tight, the bore is clean. The trigger is very nice (for any gun).

What should I expect at 30 yards? How can one tell if a scope is not holding zero?

Thanks much in advance.

Uncle Loodis

Well the way to tell if a scope is (not) holding zero is to either: put the same scope on known good-shooting rifle, and/or try to different scope on same rifle to see if problem persists.

But I'd try JSB pellets. If it's still off, it's the rifle or scope, not ammo.

yup.

Yep...that's about accurate. I'm mainly a handgun guy though...so maybe I'll start with some JSB pellets. I just don't have a lot of accurate rifles I could test the existing scope with. I suppose I could get a different scope for the RWS. I hear that they destroy scopes though, being a magnum springer air rifle. Thanks for the reply.

U.L.

A trick the airgunners use for field course competition is to make sure the soft skirts of the pellets are all expanded fully to engage the rifling.
They use a suitable punch to do it.
And, just like .22 rimfire, experiment with lots of different pellets to find the ones the gun prefers.
Spring powered rifles are kind of hard to shoot consistently, in the first place.
It doesn't take much shooting error to ruin accuracy.
A light touch on the rifle in the wrong place can do it, even with the artillery hold.

If you haven't already...I would benchrest it, with bags, or a pedestal rest with rear bags. The rear of the scope mount should be up against the rear screw scope stop --- or just remove the scope --- and see how it shoots with irons.

Dope the wind...if you're shooting outside in the elements. Make sure your stock and trigger group screws are tight. If you remove the 54 rifle action from the stock, I would avoid putting lots of oil on the slider rails that are attached too the stock; because I think it gums up the recoilless feature. Once you remove the phillip stock screws...don't mess with the allen screws.

I've only used irons on my new Model 54 in .177, though I'm curious to see how an airgun scope functions with it.

The local airgun club holds regular field course matches with the knock down steel targets out to 50 yards.
So, thirty yards isn't all that far for an air rifle.
I have no problem hitting corks from wine bottles at 25 yds with my cheapie Gamo and Crosman .177 spring powered ones.
Pellet airguns with rifled barrels are amazingly accurate.

Try focusing on a light hold and your follow-through. Follow through is everything to shooting a springer accurately.

You know air gun break in can be up to 1,000 shots don'cha?
Most all air guns require at least a couple hundred break in shots.

Follow up...

Thanks again for all the good advice. I contacted MWUSA (vendor) today. I asked them if they would refund the difference between the model with the scope and the model without the scope--and I would return the scope. No deal. They said I would need to return the whole package. So I am. However, this does not make sense to me, as they agreed to send the replacement 2nd Day Air (as I had the first one shipped this way, because I didn't want it banging around in a delivery truck for a week). They are also picking up the cost for my return shipment of defective product. Returning the whole rifle/scope package doesn't make sense, as shipping costs exceed the cost of the scope. I was surprised to see the scope was made in China, and paired with a nice German-made rifle (nothing against the Chinese, mind you). So, I should be getting a replacement rifle eventually. I don't mind spending good money on something, as long as it's high quality. That being said, I'm wondering what model of scope I should put on the new rifle when it arrives. One that can handle a magnum springer...I hear the RWS 54 is a scope-destroyer. I'd be interested in scope suggestions from anyone who actually has this model of airgun, or has first-hand experience with them.

Thanks.

U.L.

Personally I would just keep the package & scope and just remove scope for later. I prefer irons , but if later you wanted a scope, there less expensive if bought in a package. I have a RWS 34 that is dead in with irons. I also have a Steoger 22 cal. with a scope that's accurate too. How I dial in a scope is put rifle in gun vise and line up cross hairs then shoot. Wherever the hit is, I adjust the scope crosshairs to line up with the hit( without moving gun). Check again and it should be dead on after maybe one more adjustment. The rest is up to your ability.

Back