Rustoleum as touch-up for Kimber matte blue!

vanfunk

The black oxide finish has been wearing off of my Kimber Classic as though it were shoe polish, so I decided to experiment a bit with Rustoleum matte black paint. I degreased the grip safety and sprayed it with two coats, then baked it in the oven at 200* for 30 minutes(I know it's not a bake-on finish- just tickled my fancy, I guess). It's now been a week and the paint is holding up very well against alot of handling and shooting- much better, in fact, than the stock black oxide finish. It also matches the color of the factory finish perfectly. However, I have yet to test its durability against common gun cleaning agents. I suspect it will not hold up well against strong solvents. Just $.02(and that's about all I paid, too). Anyone else been cheap enough to try this?

Vanfunk, I couldn't do it, but I understand that it actually works pretty good. Keep your spay can handy. I'm told that you'll need to touch it up occasionally. George

George- thanks for your prompt reply. It's a bit embarrasing, really, but I had to share my experience. It is not a permanent solution, of course. I'll get around to buying some of the teflon/moly spray from Brownells at some point when I can afford it. 'Til then, Rustoleum it is! Hmm, I see that the generic ACE hardware stuff is only $1.19 this week, maybe I'll go get some and spray down the receiver of my Winchester Model 21 today...

If you like a Parkerized look, you can get their barbeque grill pain in matte black and gray. Hi temp auto muffler paint works, too.

Jim

Truly excellent suggestions, Jim! Oh, man, I can't believe I'm so obsessed with this.

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

Strangely enough, I use a Stove paint, used to paint the inside of ovens, OR used in the little bowls that catch items that fall into the burners. I have found that, when baked, they hold up quite well. Just my .02 worth. I use this for AR-15 mags, as it comes in a grey that matches the original finish. Jim :)

Back