Rusting under stock

Huh12345

I have a Remington 700 and have had it for about 3 years. I have barely shot it (60-100 rounds at most) and at the moment it is in storage and has been oiled on the surface, but what occurred to me is should I have rubbed it down with oil on surfaces under the stock? I won't be able to access the gun for 10 months and am hoping there will be no rusting issues.

It happens and needs monitoring.

should I have rubbed it down with oil on surfaces under the stock?
By my measure, absolutely. You don't want to give these area, the benefit of the doubt. If the wood finish in this area is light, then apply additional protection to the wood and then a good rust coating to the metal. I use two products gut there are many that work just as good. I use "Strong-Arm" which is wood friendly and Shield by Birchwood Casey. Good luck and;

Be Safe !!!

Johnsons paste wax.

For long term storage, apply the wax - but don't wipe it off until you take the gun out of storage.

If you are worried about the rifle but can't get to it for 10 months, I would say just relax and see what happens. It's no use worrying about something you can't fix, and any worrying you do may be for nothing. Of course, if it does rust up on you, you can always come back and ask us all how to remove rust (oil and steel wool, btw).

What is done is done. Should you have applied a light coat of oil below the stock or any wood lines? The answer is yes but really here nor there at this point. There is no sense in worrying about it and depending on storage conditions the rifle should be fine. You also never mentioned synthetic or wood stock and the synthetic is less likely to rust below the stock than wood. Even wood these days is coated so it gives up little moisture. Relax.

Ron

For future reference: Store guns in a VCI bag. The vapors will protect it everywhere.

As a practical matter, don't worry about it. The underside didn't get oiled, but it doesn't pick up fingerprints either. Chances are excellent it will be just fine.

"...It's a synthetic stock..." Then the only thing that really matters is the climate it is living in. In a case, almost guarantees rust. In a dry safe/storage container, usually means it'll be fine.
In any case. you should you grease, inside and out, for long term storage, not oil. Oil will drain off. Grease will not. The floor wax will do as well. So will natman's plastic bags as long as no humidity gets in.

I use Birchwood Casey Barricade wipes on my barreled actions that are blued- and I've got at least fifteen kinds of gun "oil". Metal protectants are different than lubricating oils.

Easy to use, can't "over apply" and end up with a sloppy mess, especially when you're putting it back in a wood stock. Thin, protective coat- works well for me.

So will natman's plastic bags as long as no humidity gets in.

There's a world of difference between a plastic bag and the VCI bags I recommended. VCI bags emit corrosion inhibiting vapors that get everywhere, the exterior, the bore, the inside of the trigger mechanism.

Back