Rust on my mosin hex receiver.

Hey everybody on TFL.

I tried to find a thread in this exact topic but I had no luck.
Anyways I just got my third MN and this is the first hex receiver I was able to get my hands on. And to be honest I'm pretty displeased with it. After pullin it all apart and cleaning all the fun Cosmo last night I have come to discover some ugly black stuff on the outside of barrel that isint too concerning to me I think it has to do with the arsenal refinishing. Just looks crappy :( but I am concerned with some rust and some pitting I have found on the hex part of the receiver and the underside of the barrel. It's in decent size clusters and is not just surface rust :( there is a decent amount of pitting around the chamber as well. This is all on the outside with the bore and internal parts of the rifle looking fine. Bolt is fine. It just stumps me because the other two MN I own are round receiver and a good 12 years newer than this hex and both had absolutley no rust or pitting. Please if anyone has any tips on removing this rust or what I should do about the pitting I would appreciate it. Before I put it all back together.

Thankyou in advance guys

-GimmeBackMyBullets

There isn't much that can be done about pitting on a gun. All you can really do is scrub the hell out of it with oil and make sure that you don't let the rust get any worse. There is a product called "durafill" that could make it not as noticeable, but then again you know that it's there and your eyes will automatically look for it. You should sandblast the gun first though.

Thankyou dc.

At least it's all on the outside of barrel and really not too bad. I have a savage .22 bolt action made in 1917 with about the same amount of rust and I refinished the rifle and it works just fine. Just mad my hex I was finally able to get had rust :( oh well. Lot of oil and care it will last. Thankyou sir.

Back