Rust on a new gun or oil ??

Huh12345

I noticed on a brand new rifle that there were some small spots in places like in the bottom of the inside of the receiver and in a couple other random spots in and on the receiver (of a bolt gun) that kind of looked like rust. In some of the easy to get spots it pretty much just rubbed off with a cotton t shirt but is still there in some hard to reach spots. Is this rust or maybe just oil of some kind that just looks like rust. It's a tikka t3x stainless that I purchased a couple days ago.

Without pictures I don't know if we can tell you but I want to bet some breakfree CLP will clean it up for you. Might need a toothbrush or nylon brush not to contaminate the metal.

Probably grease.

If it was a blued gun, I'd suspect bluing salts that weren't properly neutralized and washed. But, not likely on a stainless Tikka.

If a stainless steel part has spots try to wipe it off .If it wipes off easily it's ok. if not check it with a magnifier. If pitted it means that the stainless has been contaminated with particles of carbon steel which have rusted and the rusting went through the stainless and it will continue. Proper production would include "passivation " to clean the surface .

All new rifles have a preservative on 'em from the factory. Sometimes it will oxidize. Anything that comes off with a Q-Tip isn't rust.

If it rubbed off that easy I wouldn't think it's rust. Get a spray can of Ballistal great cleaner & lube. I use it on all my guns not good for chrome plated. Also won't hurt wood stocks. Now that rifle is yours, you'll give it the care it needs. Good Luck with your new rifle . Good choice.

Back