Rust in Scope Ring Screws

mcw3734

Inactive
Just returned from a backpacking elk hunt where I saw a lot of rain. Because of that, I found some rust on my rifle. The stuff on the barrel and elsewhere was taken care of with 0000 steel wool, so I'm thinking I'm fine there.

But... there is also some rust within the screws to my scope rings (see attached photo). Not sure how to deal with that. Suggestions?

If I HAVE to unscrew them and treat them that way, that is doable. My hunting is over for the year.

Thanks!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 52
Change the screws and use wee brass brush(like the ones used with rotary tools. Do not use a rotary tool though.) on the holes. Chase the holes with a tap if the brush doesn't help.

I would have to take that apart and clean it. Some may think an oil soak, q tips, and compressed air may work but im not so sure.

If you are comfortable taking it apart, I would clean well with CLP and a cue tip. I think it is likely rust leak from where torque cut through coating. A dab of locktite, or spraying with Hornady One Shot Xtreme should seal that up in the future.

Put a drop of BreakFree or Mobil-1 Synthetic
on each screw head and simply walk away....

So... while leaving the screws in place, just put a drop of BreakFreek Gun Oil on the screw heads and... that's it?

What will that do? Just protect it from further damage? 'Heal' it? Is this just hiding an issues that will have to be dealt with later?

I'm not doubting anybody's expertise, I have none in this arena. Just seems too simple. But if it is, that's cool too.

Thanks for everybody's input!

So... while leaving the screws in place, just put a drop of BreakFreek Gun Oil on the screw heads and... that's it?
Rust is oxidization.
If you cut off the oxygen, the rust stops and a coating of oil does precisely that.

Take one screw at a time out. Clean it and the hole, and replace. If you take your time and do them individually, you won't loose you zero. I don't think just putting something on top and hoping it will saturate will remove the rust that has already formed. That has to go. JMHO

Back