rust in bore?

rbf420

in cleaning the lot of my or ww2 guns i saw what i thought was to be rust. showed a friend and he said that it looked more like wear on the rifling. so how do i tell what it is and then fix the problem. after cleaned the barrels are nice and shiny, then looking at the tops of the barrels in with a flashlight it appears that the bores have a rust color in them in certain areas... dont really know what it is.. any help?

If it is light rust remaining, run a clean white oily patch back down and you should be able to clearly see the rust on the patch. Try to use a clear white oil. Again, if you see rust, get back in there with a bore brush. It might be possible that you will never completely get out all the rust. I have barrels that I have to continually wipe down. There have been times when I plug the barrel, set it verticle and pour it full deisle fuel stabilizer. Let it sit for a couple of days and drain it through a clear white rag and see what filters out.

Be Safe !!!

Either explanation may be correct but it sounds like copper from a bullet jacket. Use any one of the products made for removing copper from a barrel. Just be careful and follow the directions. Some of them can not be left in the barrel for extended periods of time or it will corrode the bore.

If it sat dry long enough, and was copper fouling, it would look green. I picked up a lot of military guns like that. I beleive you are right about cleaning a couple times or soaking it. That corrosive ammo will bleed out rust for a couple days of cleaning.

Run some #9 on a patch in the barrel, let it sit for a half hour then run the patch again. If it's green you have copper fouling. Do a search on electronic bore cleaning. You can make a DIY cleaner for about $10, they work great, well worth the effort.

Your buddy is confused. You can't actually see wear on the rifling unless it's very worn. Even then it's not green. Oxidized copper is green. Rust will come out brown.
Geting the copper out isn't a big deal and most assuredly doesn't require a machine. A rubber cork in the muzzle, then filling the barrel with regular solvent and leaving it there for a few hours will do. Gives the solvent time to work. Then clean as per normal.

Back