Rust after blue job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Spank

Hi, I just got my Desert Eagle re-blued the other day and when I got it back it had a tiny bit of light orange rust on it.. I took a patch with some oil and it came right off..

thing is.. when I rub the whole gun with a little oil, the towel is orange! Is this normal after bluing?!? A few people I talked too told me it was normal and to just keep it well oiled (witch I always do anyways) it seems I've taken all the orange that I can't see off because I've wiped it down recently and I see no more orange on the white towel. But should I take the WHOLE gun apart to little itty bitty peices of metal and scrub each and every part?

Whats the best way to get all this un-seen rust off my gun and keep it from comming back? Oh and something that won't take the blue off.. (don't wanna pay another $95 to have it re-blued again)

Thanks for any help :)
-Frank the Spank

[This message has been edited by Frank the Spank (edited November 16, 1999).]

Bluing is actually a rusting process...
So this is normal - well - not uncommon.
Clean it well and hit it with a Marine Tuff Cloth or your oil of choice for a very light coating to protect it.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I have heard that light surface rust after a blue job is comon... it came right off with a patch and some oil.. it hasen't come back, but like I said before.. when I wipe an area with a white towel and some oil, the towel has some orange on it... should I be worried about this?

-Frank the Spank

Rust after hot blueing is not common.
I had 8 rifles reblued, and a lot of other
stuff, and rust, even lightest, was never
present. Rust may appear after COLD blueing.

I now think that what you wiped out was OIL,
not rust, which is used right after the blueing process to condition the surface.
If it's indeed oil, nothing to worry about.

Hi, guys,

Yes, bluing is a controlled rusting process. But after removing from the bluing tank, the gun should be put in a hot water dip to clean out all the bluing salt residue, dried, then dipped in an oil bath to stop any further rusting. Some folks don't bother with all that and just whip the gun out of the bluing tank, assemble it and return to customer. Not good. (I heard of one guy who didn't even bother to disassemble the guns beyond taking off the stock/grips. He just polished what was easy to get to and dunked them.)

Jim

At Lassen College, after being removed from the hot-bluing tank, we use to dump it in a tank of ordinary water to wash off most of the bluing. It was then placed into a tank which had neutralizing solution. (The water tank inbetween also served as a safety to prevent neutralizing solution from getting into the bluing salts).

I think your gun was not properly neutralized after the bluing. You may want to rub it down with a water/baking soda solution. Then rinse with hot water and oil thoroughly.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

When I checked back at the store to see if my gun was ready while he had it, he said he just got done bluing and it was dunked in oil, and he said he would leave it there overnight.. or a few nights.. I forget..

I would think being in all that oil for a day would not make it rust.. who knows.. I guess I'm gonna have to break down and take the WHOLE gun apart and scrub each part with something strong to get rid of it.. I don't see anymore rust... not even when I rub it with a lightly oiled towel... but what about the places I can't see or get too? guess so I can get some sleep at night I'm gonna have to spend all day sorting my gun out into itty bitty peices and clean it REAL good... sounds fun... NOT!

-Frank the Spank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back