Russian SKS Trigger Job?

MAD DOG

I just picked up a VERY new 43 year old specimen.
It is tight, and needs a trigger job badly.
this specimen features the best machining I have seen on an SKS, but the trigger mechanism is very stiff, very long, and very heavy.
I want to reduce and smooth the trigger pull,
but I have never worked on one at the detail level before.
Since this features the typically bizarre SKS trigger system, I was hoping that someone out there had a suggestion for where to begin with a trigger job.

Also, are there any suggested books on the subject?

Mad dog;
I have done a couple of sks triggers.There isn't too much to do to them.Tear them down and polish all bearing surfaces-take the hammer catch down(this is by feel so be careful not to take too much off.alittle at a time)I go in from the left side and drill and tap a hole to set the sear.There is hole there allready that you use to move the sear till you get the ingagement to where you want it than mark it.I take a small bolt and tapper the end so I can fine tune by screwing in and out.Its not a hard job.Just think things out as you go.
Hope this gives you an idea of ehat to do.
beemerb

Mad Dog
I would suggest getting the AGI video on the SKS rifles. Robert Dunlap completely tears the trigger assembly apart and shows you how to service and smooth the trigger assembly properly. He has a gun with sections cut out of it that show how everything works, even shows how to bed the action to get the best accuracy you can. I buy a tape for every type gun I have. You can get them for around 25 bucks, and to me, they are worth it.
Good shooting
Plateshooter

Back