Russian Siaga's

General Tso

Anyone have any experience with the Russkie AK based Siaga shotguns? Me and a buddy have been toying with getting the .410 model just for kicks. They come with a 4rd mag but 10rd mags are now available.

I was actually thinking it might make a nice gun for my wife :) She likes the idea of having a shotgun for the house but she doesn't handle the recoil of even a light .12 that well. I was thinking a .410, coupled with the semi-auto gas system might be a good option for her. Although no .12 bore, I figured 10 fast rounds of .410 buck or slugs would do the job for a house gun.

As for me, I think it'd just be fun to shoot. Use it as a small game and bird gun and take it to the range to wreak havoc on milk jugs and stuff :)

Anyone shot one that can comment on reliability, patterning and recoil?

I've been hearing rumours of 10 round .410 mags floating around for about a week now. Does anyone have anything concrete? A dealer/distributor? Seen them at a gunshow? You have one? Tried a buddy's?

Anything?

Ben

Phantom Mags? Nobody? Nada?

I've just been thinking more and more about how attractive the AK shotgun is.

Consider, with a rifled bbl. and .410 buckshot, you would effectively have a gun which did legal 3-5 round bursts, accurately. With the versatility of shot rounds.

Does this interest anyone else?

The big advantage of a Shotgun for HD is the massive payload one can deliver. Even a 20 ga wound looks like a bloody rathole and comes as close to a sure stopper as anything can be that's not crew served.

The 410 doesn't have the moxie. While it may work for HD, maybe doesn't cut it when the lives of my family are on the line...

Benjamin,

Sorry I was offline for a bit and couldn't reply sooner. I have seen the 10rd .410 mags listed in Shotgun news recently. I'm at work now and away from the add but I'll try and post the distributor when I get home.

Dave,

I understand you're concern over .410 stopping power (or lack therof). I'll be honest and say I don't know. I've shot a lot of .12 over the years but very little .20 or .410. I was thinking that high brass .410 buck might not be bad but I really haven't played with it enough to say for sure.

I still wouldn't mind getting a Siaga to test it out though :)

I think it could be an interesting experiment, particularly if you played with larger sizes of buckshot. Check out some of my ideas in this earlier thread:

http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/Forum2/HTML/000724.html

Even if you stayed with 00 or 000 Buck, it might be worthwhile to experiment with some of the premium grades of buckshot pellets (hardened, polished, and plated) from folks like Ballistic Products or those pulled from Federal Tactical and Premium Buck loads.

General, let me say I do like your chicken recipe(G).

The Saiga(Native name for Steppe Antelope) does seem like a neat toy. I'm just dubious about the utility thereof.

Hehehe :D

You may well be right but don't say that too loud! You're killing my excuse to the wife for getting one of these babies to try out!

To be honest, I think'd it'd be a lot of fun to blast milk jugs, clay birds etc with if nothing else. A semi auto .410 just kinda amuses me. Especially with 10 rd mags :)

If it ends up looking OK for HD that'd be an added bonus.

Daniel,

Thanks for the link, that was fairly interesting. Same issue as I'm looking at I guess. I want something my wife can handle, with a bit of spread and punch to it and the inimidation value of a shotgun, but that won't take out the neighbors in my tightly packed suburban neighborhood. If she could handle the .12 better I'd just use #4 or #6 shot in it. As is I'll probably keep poking at the .410's and maybe give the .20 a whirl if I can get one for her to try.

With a Kalishnikov style 410, General, at least recoil shouldn't be a problem(G)...

Good luck with that...

I think that the Saiga shotgun comes in 12 and 20 gauges as well in addition to the .410. Of course, the 12 and 20 gauge models do not come with 10-round magazines as far as I know (either 4 or 5-round mags).

They are supposed to be very reliable.

I am thinking about getting a 20 gauge version of it for fun and maybe for home defense for my wife (currently a chopped Rem 870 20 gauge).

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Yeah, they do come in .20 and .410 also but you are correct that 10rd mags are not available for them 9at least not yet). I'm pretty sure teh .20's and .12's come with a 2rd hunting clip and a 4rd clip.

The big differnce is cost. You go up about $100 per caliber. .410's are around $189 - $225 dealer while .20's were in teh $300's and .12's were in the $400's. Dealer cost. So reatl will be even more.

$250 or so isn't bad IMO but you start creeping up around $400 or more and I'd probably put the money towards an 11-87 or a Beretta 1201FP instead. Maybe even something like a .20 1100 or something for the wife.

A lot of the appeal of the .410 Saiga's is the cost. And an odd fascination for a .410 semi :)

Back