Russian Maks

Hays

I have seen a lot of advertisements for EG and Bulgarian maks, but none for the new commercial Russian ones. Who is selling these, and how much are they? Are these the high capacity maks with 12 round magazines? Also, do they come stock with adjustable sights? Finally, do they come blued, or do you have a choice of finishes? Thanks. I posted this on the mak board as well.

I could be wrong but I don't think they import commercial russian maks anymore. I got a 12 round high cap in'94 or '95 right when the highcap ban started, after that I think they were being sold with 10 rounders.Either single stack 8 round mags or the high caps work in these guns. Most of the russian maks I have seen are single stack 8 rounders though.All the commercial ones I have seen had adjustable sights. I've also only seen them in blue.

Yes, Clinton imposed a ban on importation of Russian weapons since they're obviously bad, evil, and symbolize communism... or something.

All commercial Makarovs come with adjustable sights. High capacity Maks have an 'H' at the end of the model number, as opposed to an 'A' for a standart capacity. Like railroader said, 8 round mags can be used in hi-cap Maks.
Good luck finding one. You'll need it.

RANT FUNCTION ON!!!

Yes indeed, our Dear President did indeed use his power to make trade agreements, to "convince" the Russians that it would be in their best interest to not import Maks into this country. At the same time, Algore was working on his now famous deal that allowed Russia to sell really dangerous weapons of mass destruction to Iraq, thus endangering Israel. In retrospect, you can see what that ban did to the Russian economy. Weapons were the only "recource" that Russia had to sell!!! Iraq can have them, but we can't????:mad: RANT FUNCTION IS NOW OFF.

All commercial Makarovs come with adjustable sights.

Ding - this isn't exactly true. All Russian commercial Makarovs come with adjustable sights. The commercial Bulgarian pistols come equipped with fixed sights. These pistols can be indentified by the word ARSENAL on the slide.

The adjustable sights are nice - but be careful with them. Replacement parts are absolutely not available. Loose the little screw, spring, or any other part and you are out of luck. No one makes a replacement sight either - you have to have something custom fitted. With the amount of material machined from the top of the slide to fit the factory sights, a flat-bottom glue on may be your only choice.

One other word of caution - the small pin that the sight hinges on - the one that passes thru the tab in the slide - is flared on each side. Trying to simply drive it out with a small drift can result in a broken sight.

MakAttack does not go far enough. If you damage the cheesy, snag prone, adjustable sights you are in deep trouble because NO ONE can repair them. There are a few Russian military Maks in the country but they go for about $395 at Empire Arms. (empirearms.com). The reliability of the Russian Mak is the same as with all Maks....great. So is the trigger on my Russian Mak. Best buy is the Bulgarian Mak.

Back